* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15  5:32 markp
From: markp @ 2003-05-15  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

| On Thu, 15 May 2003 markp@panix.com wrote:
|
| > there are many aspects of linux one might want to stay away from as much
| > as possible, too. :)
|
| as I've stated many times if I had to choose between different unices I'd go
| with freebsd (*bsd, really). am a BSD person. in fact I try to avoid using
| the mess that is linux every chance I get. unfortunately I'm forced to use
| it at UofC as much as I'm not allowed to use Plan9 there...
|
| I was trying to make a joke, but it's actually quite a sad state of
| affairs.. (freebsd has no vmware, basically that's the reason...)

yeah, same here only x/free/c/net/ (really only because that's the
one I happen to be familiar with). there's a support package that'll
supposedly make vmware work under netbsd's linux emulation, but I
couldn't get it going.

---mp

* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15 22:19 markp
From: markp @ 2003-05-15 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

| Are you sure your X server is running at 16bpp?
| VMware looks convinced that you're at 24/32bpp
| (meaning 24 bits of actual data but 32 bits of
| space per pixel).

about as sure as I can be; the XF86Config didn't have a Display
subsection for anything other than 16bpp. I just set up a 24bpp entry
and ran the server under that to see what would happen, and vmware told
me my server's DGA extension doesn't support the mode.

---mp

* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15 19:07                 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-05-15 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ... Motif

please don't drag us into _that_ tarpit ...

* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15 19:05               ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-05-15 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i thought the nice thing about Plan 9's scheme was that it avoided intense
> colours, and was pleasantly restrained.

I like Plan 9 'cos it's like Paris; either it installs in 15 minutes or it
doesn't.

* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15 18:42             ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2003-05-15 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>XP? Is it just me, or do the colors and "green field background" and
>>buttons and such on XP make you think the Teletubbies are going to pop up

a reviewer for The Times did dub XP `the Teletubby operating system' when it
first arrived, mentioning the `child-friendly rounded corners' as well.

@ 2003-05-15 17:05               ` splite
From: splite @ 2003-05-15 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 12:37:30PM -0400, Russ Cox wrote:
> > XP? Is it just me, or do the colors and "green field background" and
> > buttons and such on XP make you think the Teletubbies are going to pop up
> > out of some window and start giving you advice on mouse actions?
>
> I like the colors.  Windows hasn't been colorful since 3.1.
> 95, 98, NT, and 2000 were this drab grey that everyone
> now seems to think has to be the way computer interfaces look.

MS just stole that idea from Motif.  They can't even be originally unoriginal.

* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15 16:59 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-05-15 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> so, looking for alternatives to drawterm, I got a demo copy of vmware 4
> for linux. mostly all is well, but it seems vmware is confused about the
> depth of the plan9 screen, and that's preventing me from running it in
> fullscreen. when I try an error box tells me "unable to turn on direct
> graphics. your guest's depth (24) doesn't match your host's (16)". yet
> $vgasize on the guest plan9 is 1024x768x16 as it should be.  is this a
> known issue? can anything be done?

(Mark sent his aux/vga output under separate cover.
I'm replying to 9fans just so it's in the archives.)

	term% aux/vga -p
	vga->attr: vid=0x15AD
	vga->attr: did=0x0405
	[...]
	vmware Depth         00000018
	vmware Bpp           00000020
	vmware PseudoColor   00000000
	vmware RedMask       00ff0000
	vmware GreenMask     0000ff00
	vmware BlueMask      000000ff

Are you sure your X server is running at 16bpp?
VMware looks convinced that you're at 24/32bpp
(meaning 24 bits of actual data but 32 bits of
space per pixel).

The clarity of the register contents is certainly
a refreshing change from typical VGAs.

* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15 16:48               ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-05-15 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> whatever happened to?
>
>     ed file
>     text
>     .

ITYM

	c:\> copy con file
	text
	^Z
	   1 file(s) copied
	c:\>

HTH.

* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15 16:39             ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-05-15 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> XP? Is it just me, or do the colors and "green field background" and
> buttons and such on XP make you think the Teletubbies are going to pop up
> out of some window and start giving you advice on mouse actions?

nah, it's real.  i wanted to write an ascii text file the other week
and it popped up a dialog to ask me how i'd like to write it.

whatever happened to?

    ed file
    text
    .

* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15 16:37             ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-05-15 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> XP? Is it just me, or do the colors and "green field background" and
> buttons and such on XP make you think the Teletubbies are going to pop up
> out of some window and start giving you advice on mouse actions?

I like the colors.  Windows hasn't been colorful since 3.1.
95, 98, NT, and 2000 were this drab grey that everyone
now seems to think has to be the way computer interfaces look.

The vibrant colors make it nicer, ever so slightly like Plan 9.

* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15 13:54           ` ron minnich
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2003-05-15 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 15 May 2003, boyd, rounin wrote:

> > I kinda like windows. :/
>
> strangely enough i kinda like it too, given i've been thrashing it to
> death, until i get enough synapses to build my 9/inferno network.

XP? Is it just me, or do the colors and "green field background" and
buttons and such on XP make you think the Teletubbies are going to pop up
out of some window and start giving you advice on mouse actions?

ron

* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15 13:50 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-05-15 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 15 May 2003 markp@panix.com wrote:

> I will fiddle with drawterm + vmware cpu server out of curiosity,
> though.

I've tried both ways on  Linux and agree with Andrey, drawterm is better
for me anyway.

ron

* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15 12:31               ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-05-15 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

now if it wasn't for the beauty of the serif font on the viewpoint
vp90sx terminal at 9600 baud, with dz-kmc's on a 11/780
running TS1.2, well i just don't know where i'd be ...

when i were a lad ...

* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15 12:27             ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-05-15 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Shucks, if it weren't for the beauty of Pacman under VMS on a vt320,
I would never have gotten into computers.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15  8:26           ` northern snowfall
From: northern snowfall @ 2003-05-15  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>strangely enough i kinda like it too, given i've been thrashing it to
>death, until i get enough synapses to build my 9/inferno network.

Right on :) Though...
I've got a full 9 network, Sun and some BSD.. I used to
run Linux, etc, too. Though, in the end, you just can't
beat Windows for a nice kick around all-purpose bullshit
interface.
    It may not be designed the best in the undercarriage,
but, let's face facts: if it wasn't for the beauty of the
Microsoft Windowing interface, I probably would never
have been introduced to computers. I would never have
been introduced to a world of networking it its current
state: despite all the wish-there-weres and wish-there-
weren'ts. I never would have gotten here, to plan9. I
never would have found the courage to take myself further
to Autumn.
I don't care what anyone says;
Thanks, Bill.
Don

* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15  7:48       ` northern snowfall
From: northern snowfall @ 2003-05-15  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>yes, I was talking about linux. in windows I would assume one wants to stay
>away from the host OS as much as possible ;)

I kinda like windows. :/

* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15  7:38             ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-05-15  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Right on :) Though...

it's like blendmail (sic) -- 10 years to get it right, a virtual
'army of programmers', but in the case of �Sloth it's a
literal 'army of programmers'

* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15  7:21   ` matt
From: matt @ 2003-05-15  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>(freebsd has no vmware, basically that's the reason...)

/usr/ports/emulators/vmware2/
/usr/ports/emulators/vmware3/

%cat /usr/ports/emulators/vmware3/pkg-descr

This is the Linux version of the VMware virtual machine emulator made
to run on FreeBSD using the Linux compatibility mode.  VMware can be
used to run Microsoft MS-DOS, Windows 95/98/NT/2000, Linux, FreeBSD,
or any other operating system that runs on the i486.

Official VMware, Inc. web site:
WWW:    http://www.vmware.com/

We all are thankful to Vladimir N. Silyaev for porting vmmon/vmnet
modules to FreeBSD.  Have a look at his page for the latest
information:

        http://www.mindspring.com/~vsilyaev/vmware/

* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15  6:58         ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-05-15  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I kinda like windows. :/

strangely enough i kinda like it too, given i've been thrashing it to
death, until i get enough synapses to build my 9/inferno network.

i have an active anti-spam project that i want to write in limbo.

i've just not had the time over the past ~7 years to implement it.

* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15  5:24 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-05-15  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 15 May 2003 markp@panix.com wrote:

> there are many aspects of linux one might want to stay away from as much
> as possible, too. :)

as I've stated many times if I had to choose between different unices I'd go
with freebsd (*bsd, really). am a BSD person. in fact I try to avoid using
the mess that is linux every chance I get. unfortunately I'm forced to use
it at UofC as much as I'm not allowed to use Plan9 there...

I was trying to make a joke, but it's actually quite a sad state of
affairs.. (freebsd has no vmware, basically that's the reason...)

andrey

* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15  5:09 markp
From: markp @ 2003-05-15  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-05-15  4:10     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-05-15  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-05-15  3:48   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-05-15  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've had two people report problems with vmware 4 and plan9 under windows
> (plan9 not booting at all) which I'm waiting for my own vmware 4 version to
> confirm...

i'm running it on two machines.  one works great.
the other seems to have decided to send clock
interrupts arbitrarily fast.  also the nat's dns stopped
working a week or two ago (vmware 3.2) so i upgraded
to 4 and it still didn't work.  not sure how i managed that.

@ 2003-05-15  3:45 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-05-15  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

send the vgainfo.txt or the output of aux/vga -p.
the driver is supposed to ignore the depth you tell
it and use the depth from the host.  it works fine
for me.

* Re: [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15  2:13 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-05-15  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

not to help, but to add:

On Wed, 14 May 2003 markp@panix.com wrote:

> so, looking for alternatives to drawterm, I got a demo copy of vmware 4
> for linux. mostly all is well, but it seems vmware is confused about the
> depth of the plan9 screen, and that's preventing me from running it in
> fullscreen. when I try an error box tells me "unable to turn on direct
> graphics. your guest's depth (24) doesn't match your host's (16)". yet
> $vgasize on the guest plan9 is 1024x768x16 as it should be.  is this a
> known issue? can anything be done?
>
> this is XFree86 4.3.0 on a ThinkPad 600e, if that helps.
>
> ---mp

* [9fans] vmware confused about color depth
@ 2003-05-15  1:59 markp
                   ` (2 more replies)