* [9fans] 9fans in Canada?
@ 2003-05-27 10:31 Damian Gerow
From: Damian Gerow @ 2003-05-27 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Out of curiousity, are there any 9fans here who live in South Western
Ontario, Canada?

* Re: [9fans] 9fans in Canada?
@ 2003-05-27 12:44 ` Henry Baragar
From: Henry Baragar @ 2003-05-27 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Damian,

There is at least one lurker (me) who bought and played with version 1, but
has not done much with it since other than attend the BOFs when I go to
Usenix.  Venti looks very interesting and I am considering doing something
with that.

BTW, I live in Toronto.

Regards,
Henry

--
Henry Baragar
Principal, Technical Architecture

* Re: [9fans] 9fans in Canada?
@ 2003-05-28 14:41   ` Damian Gerow
From: Damian Gerow @ 2003-05-28 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thus spake Henry Baragar (henry.baragar@instantiated.ca) [27/05/03 08:45]:
> There is at least one lurker (me) who bought and played with version 1, but
> has not done much with it since other than attend the BOFs when I go to
> Usenix.  Venti looks very interesting and I am considering doing something
> with that.
>
> BTW, I live in Toronto.

Well, I am what you might call a plan9 newbie.  I know approximately ...
nothing about the operating system, but have a pretty keen interest in
learning.  I've been watching the Hangar 18 project, and have started
helping out -- just wondering if there's enough people around the
Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge-Guelph area to get some sort of physical
meeting going.

* Re: [9fans] 9fans in Canada?
@ 2003-05-28 14:43 ` Damian Gerow
From: Damian Gerow @ 2003-05-28 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thus spake Richard C Bilson (rcbilson@plg2.math.uwaterloo.ca) [27/05/03 10:51]:
> > From 9fans-admin@cse.psu.edu  Tue May 27 06:32:34 2003
> >
> > Out of curiousity, are there any 9fans here who live in South Western
> > Ontario, Canada?
>
> Sure.  I'm at the University of Waterloo.  Not doing anything 9ish as
> part of my job, unfortunately.  I have noticed my colleagues opening up
> to the idea of Wily, though.

And lemme guess, you're a Math/CS major/professor?  ;)

I'll hold off on the 'do-you-know' conversation until later.  Any interest
in working with Plan9 on your own, outside of your job?

* Re: [9fans] 9fans in Canada?
@ 2003-05-27 17:26 ` northern snowfall
From: northern snowfall @ 2003-05-27 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>Well, Linux pays the bills around here, so don't get your hopes up.

>Sure, it would be nice to have 9 on our V880,

Oh hell yeah

>but the machines I get to
>play around with are ia64s.  Which has led to some idle speculation on
>my part, but the idea of writing an EPIC compiler sounds like more than
>a spare-time project to me.  I reserve the right to have a life.

What are the specs on the ia64s? I'm just curious..

>I only mention Wily because I have noted that a large part of the
>resistance to 9 in the unconverted centers around the UI.  Baby
>steps...

Yeah, thats true.

* Re: [9fans] 9fans in Canada?
@ 2003-05-27 16:16 Richard C Bilson
From: Richard C Bilson @ 2003-05-27 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> From 9fans-admin@cse.psu.edu  Tue May 27 11:11:40 2003
>
> >I have noticed my colleagues opening up
> >to the idea of Wily, though.
> >
> Gross... lets get a Sparc port going. Then
> you can use those kickass Sparc servers you
> guys have as the CPU.
> Get those colleagues of yours in a drawterm,
> at least.

Well, Linux pays the bills around here, so don't get your hopes up.
Sure, it would be nice to have 9 on our V880, but the machines I get to
play around with are ia64s.  Which has led to some idle speculation on
my part, but the idea of writing an EPIC compiler sounds like more than
a spare-time project to me.  I reserve the right to have a life.

I only mention Wily because I have noted that a large part of the
resistance to 9 in the unconverted centers around the UI.  Baby
steps...

- Richard

* Re: [9fans] 9fans in Canada?
@ 2003-05-27 16:08 ` northern snowfall
From: northern snowfall @ 2003-05-27 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>I have noticed my colleagues opening up
>to the idea of Wily, though.

Gross... lets get a Sparc port going. Then
you can use those kickass Sparc servers you
guys have as the CPU.
Get those colleagues of yours in a drawterm,
at least.

Waterloo seems pretty killer. Great profs and
you host some pretty decent lectures, too. I
was there a couple months ago for a lecture on
perceiving TCP as a fractal. Ex Bell Labs
employee, I think...

Don

* Re:  [9fans] 9fans in Canada?
@ 2003-05-27 14:51 Richard C Bilson