* [9fans] Fossil Questions
@ 2003-07-23 19:23 Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2003-07-23 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is it just me or does fossil not clear the write buffer
after 'snap -a' is performed?

I am in the process of archiving my music collection to
fossil+venti, executing 'snap -a' when the write buffer
gets close to full. I was expecting to be able to just
start writing to the buffer once the archival snapshot
finished. Instead, it seems that I have to 'flfmt -v ...'
the write buffer and restart fossil. This is a bit
cumbersome when you have a fileserver that boots from
fossil+venti. Also, from what I have experinced so far,
fossil gets very cranky and does not recover gracefully
when the write buffer is filled.

I know people are on vacation and such, and I am more than
happy to dive into the code to address this. Before I do,
I want to make sure the behavior I am seeing is accurate
and the behavior I expect is desired.

That said, I must say the system is quite robust from a
data safety standpoint. I've been through repeated crashes
and have not lost any data that was archived to venti.
Very nice work guys.

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary

* [9fans] 4th edition file server available
@ 2003-01-08  6:45 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-01-08  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The new 4th edition file server, named Fossil,
is now available on sources.  There are some
how-to docs for setting up Venti and Fossil at:

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/setting_up_venti
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/setting_up_fossil

The man pages fossil(4) and fossilcons(8) are
the definitive reference.  /sys/doc/fossil.pdf (aka
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/fossil.pdf)
describes the disk structures and also the Vac
structures for those interested in hacking the
internals.

Conceptually, Fossil is similar to the current file server
with Venti instead of a WORM juke box, but practically
there are many other differences.  It is a user-level
program rather than a special kernel, it speaks 9P2000
(and not 9P1), and there are numerous other improvements,
including enormous file names and also soft updates so that
the disk image is always in a consistent state.

It is still a work in progress, but it's ready to be used
by those feeling adventurous.

Enjoy.
Sean, Jim, Russ

g% x=`{perl -e 'print "a"x2000'}
g% >$x
g% ls -l $x
--rw-rw-r-- M 8 rsc rsc 0 Jan  8 01:30 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
g%