* [9fans] Plan9 buffer overflow exploit explained in Phrack Volume 0x0b, Issue 0x3e, Phile #0x09 of 0x0f
@ 2003-09-20  7:19 Vester Thacker
From: Vester Thacker @ 2003-09-20  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Just in case some folks haven't read about it, an article was written
about a Plan9 exploit. The article can be found at
http://phrack.unixchicks.com/p62-0x09.txt

I found it disheartening, but interesting nonetheless. Comments?

-- Vester Thacker

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 buffer overflow exploit explained in Phrack Volume 0x0b, Issue 0x3e, Phile #0x09 of 0x0f
@ 2003-09-20  7:43 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2003-09-20  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>I found it disheartening, but interesting nonetheless.

as far as i could tell:
	- the only `buffer overflow' exploited was one in his own program
	- the technique used will work on any conventional architecture that implements C;
	- all he did was work out the details of Plan 9 system call conventions, rather painfully
	   (he could just look at the mkfile)
	- he's learnt enough acid to peep at code but claims he can't find the editor
	- he seems to think that factotum remembering a password he's had to give it is equivalent
		to opening the door to everyone
	- the author seems aggressively ignorant (fairly typical of failing students in my experience)
i'd say he's actually just trying to show off to his phellow phile-istines.

i thought it was splendid: it's written in a breathless, manic style that rushes so quickly
from each misconception to the next.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 buffer overflow exploit explained in Phrack Volume 0x0b, Issue 0x3e, Phile #0x09 of 0x0f
@ 2003-09-20 10:45 ` Atanas Bachvaroff
From: Atanas Bachvaroff @ 2003-09-20 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/plain, Size: 732 bytes --]

On 20 Sep, Vester Thacker wrote:
> Just in case some folks haven't read about it, an article was written
> about a Plan9 exploit. The article can be found at
> http://phrack.unixchicks.com/p62-0x09.txt
>
> I found it disheartening, but interesting nonetheless. Comments?
>
> -- Vester Thacker

Blah! I've just read that crap at the url given. What I see is
misconception and ignorance plus very, very, very nice "conclusions"...
Just as expected, a kid from the crackbrained generation who read their
grandiose-hack-the-world things but no further... Several more things
come to my mind but these have no place in this mailing list.
Greetings

--
BEATVSHOMOQVIINVENITSAPIENTIAMETQVIAFFLVITPRVDENTIALIVRILVCIFERIVS

[-- Attachment #2: Type: APPLICATION/pgp-signature, Size: 256 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 buffer overflow exploit explained in Phrack Volume 0x0b, Issue 0x3e, Phile #0x09 of 0x0f
@ 2003-09-20 17:17   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-09-20 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think phrack sites should attach slashdot-style discussion software to
articles.  After wading through endless messages that say nothing more
than ``woot!  First!  lol'', Charles could post his last comment, which
gave me quite a chuckle.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 buffer overflow exploit explained in Phrack Volume 0x0b, Issue 0x3e, Phile #0x09 of 0x0f
@ 2003-09-22  9:02     ` Markus Friedl
From: Markus Friedl @ 2003-09-22  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Cross; +Cc: 9fans

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 01:17:06PM -0400, Dan Cross wrote:
> I think phrack sites should attach slashdot-style discussion software to
> articles.  After wading through endless messages that say nothing more
> than ``woot!  First!  lol'', Charles could post his last comment, which
> gave me quite a chuckle.

but it's a hoax and it makes fun of phrack articles.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 buffer overflow exploit explained in Phrack Volume 0x0b, Issue 0x3e, Phile #0x09 of 0x0f
@ 2003-09-22 12:33       ` C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2003-09-22 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i don't know how i'd ever be able to tell the difference!

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2921 bytes --]

From: Markus Friedl <markus@openbsd.org>
To: Dan Cross <cross@math.psu.edu>
Cc: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan9 buffer overflow exploit explained in Phrack Volume 0x0b, Issue 0x3e, Phile #0x09 of 0x0f