* [9fans] pictures, as promised ...
@ 2003-11-10  2:54 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-11-10  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9grid, 9fans

straight from my dining room table.

See http://www.9grid.org, follow the link to the news.

ron

* Re: [9fans] pictures, as promised ...
@ 2003-11-10  3:27 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-11-10  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> See http://www.9grid.org, follow the link to the news.

that's very cool.  congratulations.
what's the video card on those things like?
i'm tempted to set up that fanless home terminal
i've always wanted.

* Re: [9fans] pictures, as promised ...
@ 2003-11-10  3:57   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-11-10  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Russ Cox wrote:

> what's the video card on those things like?

It's a pretty standard slow video, built in to the chipset. Probably fine
for Plan 9 but you'll have to write a driver I suppose.

You could try one of the M10000 boards, google travla and see if there is
something reasonable. jmk probably knows more than I do about video at
this point.

> i'm tempted to set up that fanless home terminal i've always wanted.

I'd love to see it.

thanks

@ 2003-11-10 13:48   ` Derek Fawcus
From: Derek Fawcus @ 2003-11-10 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 10:27:29PM -0500, Russ Cox wrote:
> what's the video card on those things like?

depends upon which EPIA board is being used.

If it's the old one it uses the VIA VT8601A (Apollo PLE133) chipset,  which
has a Trident VGA built in (Blade 3D?).

If it's one of the newer models,  then it has a S3 savage derived chipset.

Both have support in XFree86 if you want to try and scrounge up some code :-)

Now if I ever get around to building up a plan 9 system here,  I've been
intending to use the following as a terminal:

   http://linitx.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/14/products_id/160
   http://www.lex.com.tw/cv860a.htm

   Fanless,  silent,  small.

DF

* Re: [9fans] pictures, as promised ...
@ 2003-11-10 14:28     ` kiwane
From: kiwane @ 2003-11-10 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>    Fanless,  silent,  small.

Can you run one of these EPIA machines with a hard disk in it,
and still fan less?

* Re: [9fans] pictures, as promised ...
@ 2003-11-10 14:54       ` Derek Fawcus
From: Derek Fawcus @ 2003-11-10 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:28:34PM +0900, kiwane@mac.com wrote:
> >    Fanless,  silent,  small.
>
> Can you run one of these EPIA machines with a hard disk in it,
> and still fan less?

Yes.  It all depends upon the speed (and hence heat generated) by the disk.

The machine I pointed to comes supplied with a bracket to mount a laptop
style h/d internaly.

DF

* Re: [9fans] pictures, as promised ...
@ 2003-11-10 16:29         ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-11-10 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Derek Fawcus wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:28:34PM +0900, kiwane@mac.com wrote:
> > >    Fanless,  silent,  small.
> >
> > Can you run one of these EPIA machines with a hard disk in it,
> > and still fan less?
>
> Yes.  It all depends upon the speed (and hence heat generated) by the disk.
>
> The machine I pointed to comes supplied with a bracket to mount a laptop
> style h/d internaly.

Laptop drives are designed for a hostile heat environment, and on the m100
they are mounted to the top of the case: the whole case is a heat sink for
the drive. You probably don't need a fan.

@ 2003-11-11 12:22     ` Rasputin
From: Rasputin @ 2003-11-11 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

* Derek Fawcus <dfawcus@cisco.com> [1149 13:49]:
> On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 10:27:29PM -0500, Russ Cox wrote:
> > what's the video card on those things like?
>
> depends upon which EPIA board is being used.
>
> If it's the old one it uses the VIA VT8601A (Apollo PLE133) chipset,  which
> has a Trident VGA built in (Blade 3D?).
>
> If it's one of the newer models,  then it has a S3 savage derived chipset.
>
> Both have support in XFree86 if you want to try and scrounge up some code :-)

Even the X support is a bit crappy, though (for Tridents at least).

But the EPIA boards have a PCI slot (although a minibox case is too
small to hold a card), so just fit something supported...

--
One learns to itch where one can scratch.
		-- Ernest Bramah

* Re: [9fans] pictures, as promised ...
@ 2003-11-12 15:06     ` matt
From: matt @ 2003-11-12 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Mine has a PCI slot with a riser so you can fit any PCI vga card you like