From: John Stalker <stalker@Math.Princeton.EDU>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] restoring p9 boot blocks
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 15:58:31 -0500	[thread overview]

I was using GAG, which is functionally similar to LILO but less
hideous.  It just loads the boot sector of the selected
partition into memory and jumps.  Yesterday I tried

disk/format -b /386/pbslba -d -r 2 /dev/sdC0/9fat \
	/386/9load /386/9pcdisk /386/9paddington

9paddington was a 9pcauth variant I was playing with.  This
more or less worked.  I neglected to include plan9.ini, so
I had to recontruct that from memory and the man page.  9load
can't find 9paddington.  I assume this is the usual 8+3 nonsense.
It doesn't matter much as (a) 9load can still find it as
sdC0!fs!/386/9paddington and (b) it doesn't work properly so I
am using 9pcdisk anyway.

The current status is that I have a working boot loader chain
again, so there is no need to bother anyone further.  Thanks to
all who sent suggestions, either by mail or on 9fans.  I'm still
not sure how I blew away the boot blocks in the first place.
Once I figure that out, presumably by repeating the same error,
I will warn others here.

--
John Stalker
Department of Mathematics