* RE: [9fans] Monitor Trouble At 4th Edition Install Disk Bootup (Quick Fix: 3rd Edition Anywhere, Anyone?)
@ 2003-12-08 10:17 Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2003-12-08 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The monitor trouble are lots and lots of horizontal distortion at
> install diskette bootup.  You can see more than five copies of the
> installation screen, all of them all set to go and very tempting.  The
> 3rd edition never caused this problem, and naturally I can't find any
> copy I ever had of it.  Monitor card is ATI Xpert98; it appears on the
> Bell Labs "worked on 3rd edition, not tried on 4th" list in the
> compatibility writeup.  Thanks for the help!  Quite a place here!

Looks like an unsupported Rage, in this case it must be a later one.

Tiit

* Re: [9fans] Monitor Trouble At 4th Edition Install Disk Bootup (Quick Fix: 3rd Edition Anywhere, Anyone?)
@ 2003-12-08 14:58 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-12-08 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > The monitor trouble are lots and lots of horizontal distortion at
> > install diskette bootup.  You can see more than five copies of the
> > installation screen, all of them all set to go and very tempting.  The
> > 3rd edition never caused this problem, and naturally I can't find any
> > copy I ever had of it.  Monitor card is ATI Xpert98; it appears on the
> > Bell Labs "worked on 3rd edition, not tried on 4th" list in the
> > compatibility writeup.  Thanks for the help!  Quite a place here!
>
> Looks like an unsupported Rage, in this case it must be a later one.

no, the xpert98 should be working.
perhaps you should try a different monitor setting
or a lower resolution to get going?

* Re: [9fans] Monitor Trouble At 4th Edition Install Disk Bootup (Quick Fix: 3rd Edition Anywhere, Anyone?)
@ 2003-12-08 16:19   ` John Stalker
From: John Stalker @ 2003-12-08 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > > The monitor trouble are lots and lots of horizontal distortion at
> > > install diskette bootup.  You can see more than five copies of the
> > > installation screen, all of them all set to go and very tempting.  The
> > > 3rd edition never caused this problem, and naturally I can't find any
> > > copy I ever had of it.  Monitor card is ATI Xpert98; it appears on the
> > > Bell Labs "worked on 3rd edition, not tried on 4th" list in the
> > > compatibility writeup.  Thanks for the help!  Quite a place here!
> >
> > Looks like an unsupported Rage, in this case it must be a later one.
>
> no, the xpert98 should be working.
> perhaps you should try a different monitor setting
> or a lower resolution to get going?

I've installed 4th editiion plan9 with an Xpert98.  Unfortunately that machine
now has a different video card, so I can't easily use it for testing.  I
don't remember what resolution I used, but at least 600x800x8 was working.
--
John Stalker
Department of Mathematics

* [9fans] Monitor Trouble At 4th Edition Install Disk Bootup (Quick Fix: 3rd Edition Anywhere, Anyone?)
@ 2003-12-08 10:08 Space Beginner