* [9fans] booting plan9 cd on thinkpad x23
@ 2003-12-07 16:49 Dennis D. Jensen
From: Dennis D. Jensen @ 2003-12-07 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I wanted to try out plan9 on my newly bought thinkpad
x23. It is light and comes with absolutely no disk or
cd drives. I use an USB connected cdrom writer when I
want to boot something.

Apparantly the plan9.iso cannot recognize the storage
via USB. Does anybody know a remedy for this? I
currently still have a win2k on a reduced partion
(soon to be replaced), but I cannot immediately see
how that would help me booting plan9. 9load just stops
and asks "boot from:".

Note: I've mostly used Debian GNU/Linux in the past
(and Gentoo, Suse, Mandrake, FreeBSD), but finally
decided to try out plan9. I've used 9wm, rc, sam and
wily for over a year, grown to like it more than
anything else in GNU/Linux-land, and now wants to try
out the real thing. (-: I mainly stayed in the console
until I got 9wm.

I plan on installing a GNU/Linux anyway (probably
Gentoo) and get rid of win2k. I've gotten used to have
several distributions lying around... Would there be
any improvement on possibility of booting things from
GNU/Linux? Is there another iso-image or such thing I
could download to bootstrap plan9-installation?

In hope and best regards,
Dennis Decker Jensen

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree