* [9fans] sam for pen?
@ 2004-02-21  7:23 David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-02-21  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

would sam be good for pen input?

David

* Re: [9fans] sam for pen?
@ 2004-02-23 10:04 ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2004-02-23 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

David Tolpin wrote:
> would sam be good for pen input?

Not really.

* Re: [9fans] sam for pen?
@ 2004-02-23 10:42   ` David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-02-23 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> David Tolpin wrote:
> > would sam be good for pen input?
>
> Not really.

In fact, I have just implemented a very raw early version of
samterm for PalmOS, and it appears to be rather convenient
to edit files on Palm with Sam; fits pretty naturally into
the interface. No right-button menu, the rest is very close.

David Tolpin

* Re: [9fans] sam for pen?
@ 2004-02-23 12:14     ` Dave Lukes
From: Dave Lukes @ 2004-02-23 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm interested!
I've got a Treo 180
(one of the ones with an infinitessimal keyboard),
and I'll probably end up with another qwerty-palmos phone sometime
soon, so I'm always interested in stuff for it.

Cheers,
	Dave.

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 10:42, David Tolpin wrote:
> > David Tolpin wrote:
> > > would sam be good for pen input?
> >
> > Not really.
>
> In fact, I have just implemented a very raw early version of
> samterm for PalmOS, and it appears to be rather convenient
> to edit files on Palm with Sam; fits pretty naturally into
> the interface. No right-button menu, the rest is very close.
>
> David Tolpin

* [9fans] Re: sam for pen?
@ 2004-02-23 15:19   ` boyd
From: boyd @ 2004-02-23 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

David Tolpin wrote:
> would sam be good for pen input?

no

* Re: [9fans] Re: sam for pen?
@ 2004-02-23 15:26     ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2004-02-23 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 boyd@insultant.net wrote:

> David Tolpin wrote:
> > would sam be good for pen input?
>
> no

Why? It seems to work just fine with a keyboard, it follows that using a
pen interface which is only another way to provide the same input
character stream would work fine as well. All sam really cares about is
that stream of characters on stdin, not how that stream is generated.

 -- --

  Open Forge, LLC  24/365 Onsite Support for PCs, Networks, & Game Consoles
  512-695-4126 (Austin, Tx.)                            help@open-forge.com

  Hangar 18          Open Source Distributed Computing Using Plan 9 & Linux
  512-451-7087                               http://open-forge.org/hangar18

  James Choate    512-451-7087     ravage@ssz.com    jchoate@open-forge.com

* Re: [9fans] Re: sam for pen?
@ 2004-02-23 18:04       ` David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-02-23 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > David Tolpin wrote:
> > > would sam be good for pen input?
> >
> > no
>
> Why? It seems to work just fine with a keyboard, it follows that using a
> pen interface which is only another way to provide the same input
> character stream would work fine as well. All sam really cares about is
> that stream of characters on stdin, not how that stream is generated.

I meant the mouse interface too; and after trying a prototype
on my old Palm IIIxe I am convinced it is the choice. Sam (with
it's mouse operations on the dot) is very convenient for pen
input.

I am going to proceed since it is more than one day hacking
(more than a month, I'm afraid), but it is working now and
I am happy to finally have a hope to have a much more powerful
editor than Memopad on my Palm.

David Tolpin

* Re: [9fans] Re: sam for pen?
@ 2004-02-23 18:22         ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2004-02-23 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, David Tolpin wrote:

> I meant the mouse interface too; and after trying a prototype
> on my old Palm IIIxe I am convinced it is the choice. Sam (with
> it's mouse operations on the dot) is very convenient for pen
> input.
>
> I am going to proceed since it is more than one day hacking
> (more than a month, I'm afraid), but it is working now and
> I am happy to finally have a hope to have a much more powerful
> editor than Memopad on my Palm.

Good luck with it.

 -- --