* [9fans] novice question -- how to stop 9load from asking questions?
@ 2004-02-27 19:34 David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-02-27 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

is there a way to urge plan9 terminal to boot without asking about
bootargs and user name?

David

* Re: [9fans] novice question -- how to stop 9load from asking questions?
@ 2004-02-27 20:05 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-02-27 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hi,
>
> is there a way to urge plan9 terminal to boot without asking about
> bootargs and user name?
>
> David

there's a 'nobootprompt=' plan9.ini(8) variable you can use.

as for the username the only way i can think of is a hack -- boot a
pccpu kernel which will remember the user information and store it in
nvram.  to avoid other people logging in to your terminal (which is
actualy a cpu server) don't start the listen daemon from cpurc...
essentially other users won't be able to login to such cpu server
unless you explicitly add the user that booted it to /lib/ndb/auth so
it can 'become' somebody else.

not that i'm condoning such terminal setup, of course, and not that i
haven't done exactly the same thing it in the past :)

andrey

* Re: [9fans] novice question -- how to stop 9load from asking questions?
@ 2004-02-28  3:02 ` Andrey S. Kukhar
From: Andrey S. Kukhar @ 2004-02-28  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

http://ask.km.ru/3p/plan9faq.html#autologin

	kyxap

* Re: [9fans] novice question -- how to stop 9load from asking questions?
@ 2004-03-01  8:47   ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2004-03-01  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> there's a 'nobootprompt=' plan9.ini(8) variable you can use.
>
> as for the username the only way i can think of is a hack -- boot a
> pccpu kernel which will remember the user information and store it in

Well, you have the user= variable, but of course you'd have to
type a password as soon as you want to user resources (unless you
do what mirtchov suggests and start a cpuserver instead).

* Re: [9fans] novice question -- how to stop 9load from asking questions?
@ 2004-03-01  9:35     ` David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-03-01  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Well, you have the user= variable, but of course you'd have to
> type a password as soon as you want to user resources (unless you
> do what mirtchov suggests and start a cpuserver instead).

I have in fact set up a cpu server. That's what I wanted.

David