* [9fans] warning
@ 2004-03-06 13:55 zed
From: zed @ 2004-03-06 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

misc

The following attachment had content that we can't
prove to be harmless.  To avoid possible automatic
execution, we changed the content headers.
The original header was:

[-- Attachment #2.2: information.zip.suspect --]

* Re: [9fans] warning
@ 2000-08-01  4:25 dhog
From: dhog @ 2000-08-01  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I think the main reason ^p exists is
> so you can reboot cpu servers from
> terminals easily.  It's possible to send
> ^t ^t (go into another window, type
> something, come back) r to reboot
> a cpu server over a serial connection,
> but it's too easy to forget that dance.

I have a script called "tt" that I use.  From
con, I escape out with control-\ and type !tt r
(or !tt p etc).  The script is:

#!/bin/rc

echo XX$1 | tr X '\024'

I guess it could be just a simple echo, but I
don't like having control characters in shell
scripts (especially "dangerous" ones).

* Re: [9fans] warning
@ 2000-08-01  2:52 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-08-01  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It's history.  Control-P should probably go, but it has been there a
long time.  It reboots cpu servers only, not the terminal's kernel.
Turn it off if you want; the code's easy enough to change.
	/sys/src/9/port/devcons.c:/p.hack
Or you can do it using the undocumented consctl message "ctlpoff",
perhaps in your cpurc.

We keep it around so we can reboot a CPU server using a consolefs(4)
connection on a terminal, without accidentally rebooting the terminal.
Insufficient reason, I suppose.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] warning
@ 2000-08-01  2:48 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-08-01  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There's no difference.  They both do
the same thing.  The main difference is
most people don't run cpu servers on
their desks, and ^p only reboots cpu servers.

You don't have to run a cpu server
kernel for your setup: I have a machine
that does all that but boots a terminal
kernel.

I think the main reason ^p exists is
so you can reboot cpu servers from
terminals easily.  It's possible to send
^t ^t (go into another window, type
something, come back) r to reboot
a cpu server over a serial connection,
but it's too easy to forget that dance.

If typing three keys in a row is too
hard, you can type three simultaneously:
ctl-alt-del.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] warning
@ 2000-08-01  2:41 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-08-01  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ctrl-p is what we normally use to reboot the cpu servers.  It's supposed
to be turned off on terminals.  It just makes it easier to connect to consoles
on cpu servers and rebooting them without accidentally rebooting the terminal
you're doing it from.  All our server consoles are plugged into a single
machine from which we administer them.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2042 bytes --]

From: andrey mirtchovski <aam396@mail.usask.ca>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] warning
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 20:20:41 -0600

do not ever, *ever*, slam the enter key with frustration while holding
down the control key in plan9!

there is a pretty good chance you will hit 'p' together with enter,
which (unbeknownst to me until now) will force a reboot...

or, if you want to avoid the frustration of having to type ^TT (three
keys, can you imagine!) all the time in order to reboot, you can simply
hit ^p and live merrily ever after :)

Q: what is the difference?

andrey

ps: single machine serving cpu/kfs/terminal

* [9fans] warning
@ 2000-08-01  2:20 andrey mirtchovski