* [9fans] kernels on sources
@ 2004-03-27 21:33 Micah Stetson
From: Micah Stetson @ 2004-03-27 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

With the new kbd stuff, the kernels on sources need to
be recompiled.  If you run the new programs with the old
kernels, you just get the question-in-a-box glyph whenever
you hit the down arrow.

Thanks,

Micah

* Re: [9fans] kernels on sources
@ 2004-03-28  1:17 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-03-28  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

not the kernels but programs like rio, acme and vncv. the problem comes from
a change in /sys/include/keyboard.h which changed down arrow to send
something else, instead of 0x80...

they were recompiled on sources two days ago

andrey

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, Micah Stetson wrote:

> With the new kbd stuff, the kernels on sources need to
> be recompiled.  If you run the new programs with the old
> kernels, you just get the question-in-a-box glyph whenever
> you hit the down arrow.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Micah

* Re: [9fans] kernels on sources
@ 2004-03-28  6:15   ` Micah Stetson
From: Micah Stetson @ 2004-03-28  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> not the kernels but programs like rio, acme and vncv. the problem comes from
> a change in /sys/include/keyboard.h which changed down arrow to send
> something else, instead of 0x80...
>
> they were recompiled on sources two days ago

That's the point.  Rio, acme, etc. were recompiled to
expect the new rune (0xf800, I think).  But the kernels
in /386 are still sending 0x80.  When I rebuilt 9pcf from
source and rebooted with it, all was well again.

Micah

* Re: [9fans] kernels on sources
@ 2004-03-28  6:55   ` David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-03-28  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> not the kernels but programs like rio, acme and vncv. the problem comes from
> a change in /sys/include/keyboard.h which changed down arrow to send
> something else, instead of 0x80...
>
> they were recompiled on sources two days ago

If there was a need to change drawterm, there is a need to recompile
kernels for those who use plan9 terminals.

* [9fans] 8c vlong support
@ 2004-03-28  8:47     ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2004-03-28  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i have been doing a fair amount of vlong support for 8c.
it's all table driven and fraught with peril.

it compiles itself to a fixed point and passed all the torture
tests i thru at it.  jmk did some testing and found a nasty,
which is fixed, and now he reports that the kernel runs
just fine.

i'd like bashers - break it please and you get a beer.
should i post a URL now or is it better for me to find
some more bugs (and write some more tables) and post
it next week?

humbly and stumbly,

brucee

* Re: [9fans] 8c vlong support
@ 2004-03-28  8:54       ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2004-03-28  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

oh yeah, private e-mail is preferred.
in any case if the e-mail's subject contains "vlong"
it will be tendered to with due haste.

brucee