* [9fans] train stations
@ 2004-04-05 20:00 plan9fans
From: plan9fans @ 2004-04-05 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

wasn't it vauxhall station ?

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] train stations
@ 2004-04-05 20:15 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-04-05 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> wasn't it vauxhall station ?
>
> -Steve

http://www.vauxhallandkennington.org.uk/springgardens.shtml

quote:

	As a result, "Vauxhall" became a generic term for other
	pleasure gardens, including Bath's "Sydney Gardens" Vauxhall,
	much visited by Jane Austen.  Indeed, Vauxhall gave the
	Russians their word for "railway station" which is pronounced
	"vokzal".

in cyrillic it's "вокзал"

andrey

* Re: [9fans] train stations
@ 2004-04-05 20:59 ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2004-04-05 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 21:00:16 +0100 plan9fans@ntlworld.nospam.com wrote:

>wasn't it vauxhall station ?
>
>-Steve

See? I knew my mother wasn't a liar! I just confused the czar with the tsar.

-George

* Re: [9fans] train stations
@ 2004-04-05 21:53   ` Andrey S. Kukhar
From: Andrey S. Kukhar @ 2004-04-05 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrey mirtchovski

> in cyrillic it's "вокзал"

we -- russians, ukrainians, belorussians etc, what the difference :),
aren't using "вокзал" without revision of what exactly,
so: railway station is a "ЖД (железнодорожный) вокзал" and
bus terminal is a "автовокзал".

    kyxap

* Re: [9fans] train stations
@ 2004-04-05 22:47   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-04-05 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  wasn't it vauxhall station ?

yup, just north of brixton, but south of the river [take your passport].