* [9fans] space in essid ....
@ 2004-05-11  3:13 ron minnich
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2004-05-11  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've tried:
echo essid 'x y' > ctl
and
echo essid x\ y > ctl

so how would I set the essid to something with a space ...
no luck so far.

Another question: is there an 802.11 sniffer for Plan 9, i.e. something
you could use to sniff for a wifi and then output a string to cat > ctl to
get you on to a network.

thanks

ron

* Re: [9fans] space in essid ....
@ 2004-05-11  3:29 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2004-05-11  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

you are getting tokenized by the ctl file as well
as rc so you might try

echo essid '''x y''' > ctl
or even
echo 'essid ''x y''' > ctl

ron minnich wrote:

> I've tried:
> echo essid 'x y' > ctl
> and
> echo essid x\ y > ctl
>
> so how would I set the essid to something with a space ...
> no luck so far.
>
> Another question: is there an 802.11 sniffer for Plan 9, i.e. something
> you could use to sniff for a wifi and then output a string to cat > ctl to
> get you on to a network.
>
> thanks
>
> ron

* Re: [9fans] space in essid ....
@ 2004-05-11  3:49 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-05-11  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

echo 'essid ''x y''' >ctl

or

cat >ctl
essid 'x y'
^D

if you just echo essid '''''' >ctl
that usually makes the card
pick the first one it sees.

* Re: [9fans] space in essid ....
@ 2004-05-11 14:42   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-05-11 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Bruce Ellis wrote:

> you are getting tokenized by the ctl file as well
> as rc so you might try
>
> echo essid '''x y''' > ctl

yeah I figured that out after sending the letter. Silly of me -- all I had
to do was read the tokenize source and all was clear.

I need to get used to a few things:
- all the source is there :-)
- it's quite readable :-)
- it's O(100) less code than current *n*x distros to do anything. :-)
- it's better source than I can write :-) or :=-(

I had just come off working with a linux system that had a 941-line script
just to bring up enet, and bad habits come back quick.

Lesson: if you're on Plan 9, UTSL.

ah, wireless. it's back.

ron

* Re: [9fans] space in essid ....
@ 2004-05-11 14:55     ` rog
From: rog @ 2004-05-11 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> - it's O(100) less code than current *n*x distros to do anything. :-)

and there's me thinking that O(100) is equivalent to O(1)... :-)

* Re: [9fans] space in essid ....
@ 2004-05-11 15:02       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-05-11 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 11 May 2004 rog@vitanuova.com wrote:

> > - it's O(100) less code than current *n*x distros to do anything. :-)
>
> and there's me thinking that O(100) is equivalent to O(1)... :-)

well, that's the difference between CS and engineering ... the CS guys
tell me that lifting a 1000-lb. weight is same order as lifting a 10lb.
weight. I think they're just all athletes in CS.

ron

* Re: [9fans] space in essid ....
@ 2004-05-11 15:08 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2004-05-11 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Another question: is there an 802.11 sniffer for Plan 9, i.e. something
> you could use to sniff for a wifi and then output a string to cat > ctl to
> get you on to a network.

(Think I did not see an answer to above question)

There is a thread (around 17 Jan 2003) with subject

	scanning for base stations/access points

that seems to give (part of?) what you are looking for.
I think the main thing you are looking for is in the message
quoted from presotto, below.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 5158 bytes --]

From: "Woodruff, Richard" <r-woodruff2@ti.com>
To: "'9fans@cse.psu.edu'" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] scanning for base stations/access points
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 07:06:32 -0600

I've got this kind of thing to work for other cards, though I haven't looked
at it specifically for the wavelan design.  I'd look first to what is going
out over the air using Airopeek or some other 802.11 sniffer.

Scanning usually is done actively with a probe request or passively by
listening for beacons (the firmware or driver software may combine them if
the ssid is hidden).  A scan command results in a card spending some amount
of time on each valid channel listening, or actively asking if someone is
there (you tell him who to ask for).  If your scan sample time is to short
you can miss beacons or responses, if your valid channel list is wrong you
might skip channels which ap's are on.  These parameters are embedded
somewhere, likely in a mib which the driver can access.

If your AP is configured to hide its ssid, it generally sends out the same
number of blanks as the name should be for the name field in the beacon.  To
know if this is your ap you must send out a probe with the proper name to
this station, he will respond directly to you if you got it right.  From
there the 802.11 auth and association steps can happen as you know the
proper mac address of the ap.  Its common for several AP's to be assigned
the same name, in this case you should really listen for the one with the
strongest signal strength as its likely the closest.

Sorry if this isn't useful, if nothing else it might make some of the magic
numbers which always seem to be about to have some more meaning.

Regards,

Richard W.

"David Presotto" <presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote in message
> I've updated the kernel sources for:
>
> port/netif.h
> port/netif.c
> port/wavelan.h
> port/wavelan.c
>
> to try to get scanning for base stations/access points to work.  I
> ripped off what I could from Linux but seem to be faiing miserably.
> If I don't set the essid, the scanning seems to work but doesn't
> return the essid of the access points. It also doesn't get all the
> access points in range.  If I set the essid, it gets them all and
> returns the essid values.
>
> I'm clearly doing something wrong but don't see what.  If anyone can
> help, I'ld appreciate it.
>
> To get the scanning to work:
>
> 	% cd /net/ether0/0
> 	% cat data &
> 	% echo scanbs 5 > ctl
>
> The '5' is the seconds between scans (5 is the minimum).
>
> You might also want to turn stuff off to see if it changes
> things:
>
> 	% echo crypt off > ctl
> 	% echo essid default > ctl
>
> Thanks

* Re: [9fans] space in essid ....
@ 2004-05-11 15:44         ` rog
From: rog @ 2004-05-11 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> the CS guys tell me that lifting a 1000-lb.  weight is same order as
> lifting a 10lb.  weight.

it is... but order is often irrelevant to reality.