* [9fans] A note about AMD64 mainboards and Plan 9
@ 2004-06-17 10:01 Vester Thacker
From: Vester Thacker @ 2004-06-17 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For anyone thinking about running Plan 9 on an AMD64 mainboard,
ensure that you don't purchase a mainboard with the VIA VT800
chipset. The VIA VT800 chipset is not supported by Plan 9 at
this time. Unless you plan to write a driver for it.

The AMD64 mainboards that have nForce3 150 chipset work well.

I just wanted to share my findings with others in attempt to
save you from the expensive mistakes that I have made.

--Vester Thacker

* Re: [9fans] A note about AMD64 mainboards and Plan 9
@ 2004-06-17 12:27 ` Philippe Anel
From: Philippe Anel @ 2004-06-17 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

At 12:01 PM 6/17/2004, you wrote:
>For anyone thinking about running Plan 9 on an AMD64 mainboard,
>ensure that you don't purchase a mainboard with the VIA VT800
>chipset. The VIA VT800 chipset is not supported by Plan 9 at
>this time. Unless you plan to write a driver for it.

What's wrong with this chipset ?
I've bought an Acer Aspire 1502 notebook with a KT800 chipset inside,
and beside the broadcom ethernet (and wifi) missing drivers, it runs
Plan9 quite fine.

         Philippe,

Ps: Note to jmk: I can't reply to your private email.

<jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com>: host plan9.bell-labs.com[204.178.31.2] said: 554 we
     believe this is spam.  we don't accept it. (in reply to end of DATA
     command)
Reporting-MTA: dns; postfix4-1.free.fr
Arrival-Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:11:31 +0200 (CEST)

* Re: [9fans] A note about AMD64 mainboards and Plan 9
@ 2004-06-17 12:30 ` Vester Thacker
From: Vester Thacker @ 2004-06-17 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 07:01:47PM +0900, Vester Thacker wrote:

> The AMD64 mainboards that have nForce3 150 chipset work well.

I spoke too soon about nForce3. I'm having slightly different
problems now. I'd like to retract my earlier statement. I
apologize.

@ 2004-06-17 12:40   ` Vester Thacker
From: Vester Thacker @ 2004-06-17 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 02:27:47PM +0200, Philippe Anel wrote:

> What's wrong with this chipset ?
> I've bought an Acer Aspire 1502 notebook with a KT800 chipset inside,
> and beside the broadcom ethernet (and wifi) missing drivers, it runs
> Plan9 quite fine.

I believe the KT800 and VT800 are different. It's been my experience
that they exhibit slightly differing behaviors. For example, my keyboard
and mouse become inoperative shortly after the boot prompt with the
VT800 and the same problem occurs once rio starts with the KT800. I
can't explain it.

@ 2004-06-17 14:28   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-06-17 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Vester Thacker wrote:

> I spoke too soon about nForce3. I'm having slightly different
> problems now. I'd like to retract my earlier statement. I
> apologize.

just see what jmk has.

ron