* [9fans] venti migration
@ 2004-08-03 13:26 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2004-08-03 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I have a pile of backups on cdroms taken over the years and I
want to add them into my venti archive.

What I _THINK_ I need to do is copy the dumps, one by one into
my fossil filesystem and then execute:

	9660srv
	mount /srv/srv9660 /n/backup /dev/sdD0/data

	mkdir /tmp/backup
	disk/mkfs -a -s /n/backup /sys/lib/sysconfig/proto/allproto |  disk/mkext -u -d /tmp/backup

	echo 'snap -a -s /n/backup/1995-11-21 -d /archive/1995/1121' >> /srv/fscons

	# Wait for all the rattling of the disk to stop

	rm -r /tmp/backup/*

using the files metadata but that would just leave me with a hex score
and I have not found a way of inserting a score into the active filesystem.

Anyone agree/disagree ?

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] venti migration
@ 2004-08-03 14:26 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2004-08-03 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I have a pile of backups on cdroms taken over the years and I
> want to add them into my venti archive.
>
> What I _THINK_ I need to do is copy the dumps, one by one into
> my fossil filesystem and then execute:

This reminds me of when I started archiving the dump of my ken-fs
file server to venti using (a variant of) a script nemo posted here
(or made available on his web site? or sent via private mail?)
(I stopped halfway (for no real reason) and still run the ken-fs
 server, but I know nemo moved from ken-fs to fossil).

The script essentially runs vac on each dump day subdirectory.
I think nemo uses a patched 9fs script to overlay the vac'ed
ken-fs dumps with the archival snapshots of the fossil
server (nemo, please correct me if I'm wrong).

> using the files metadata but that would just leave me with a hex score
> and I have not found a way of inserting a score into the active filesystem.

I have been wondering whether it would be possible/useful to
be able to do that (insert a score into the active filesystem).

Axel.