* [9fans] twente9con plan update
@ 2004-11-05 15:13 Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2004-11-05 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I got several reactions to my suggestion of trying
to have a 9con at twente before christmas,
so let's see what we can make happen.

potential attendees, so far:
boyd roberts, devon o'dell, jean mehat, matthias teege, richard miller,
sape mullender, mechiel lukkien, axel belinfante

open questions I see so far:
 - how long?
 - what days?
 - program?
 - accomodation?
 - cost?

I'll try to address most of these below.

Length:
I'm not sure about a good length,
so I'm open to (asking for! :-) suggestions
(but please, read the remainder of this email first).

When:
Since no-one indicated strong time constraints
it's easiest to meet on working-days.
My proposal would be:
in case of a single-day meeting: tuesday dec 21, or,
in case of a multi-day meeting: 'center' the meeting
around that day, starting dec 20, or dec 21
(I have one strong family-imposed constraint:
 christmas vacation starts sometime dec 23)

Program:
In the same week, sape will give 3  approx. 2-hour
lectures (part of a course on distributed systems),
in which he will talk about plan 9 as an example of
a distributed system. I guess the first lecture
will be some kind of overview, and the two others
probably go deeper (sape will correct me if I'm wrong :-)
The lectures are scheduled:
Dec 20 2004	10:40-12:25
Dec 22 2004	13:45-15:30
Dec 24 2004	13:45-15:30
and 9con attendees would be welcome
(as long as we leave enough room for the students :-)

So, if people want to come 'early' and hang around
for some days, and hear sape's lectures, that would
be an option too.

Other potential programs topics in no particular order:
 - I could show you my plan 9 machine(s) :-)
   (and the coffee room music setup; I _still_ should
    try to redirfs the sound)
 - if there is interest, we might discuss a bit about
   libcontrol (I made some changes for the music stuff,
   and have some thoughts of refining that, where feedback
   might be useful)
 - there are still my LabelledTransitionSystemFS ideas
 - discuss testing with boyd? :-)
 - anything more interesting than what I wrote above? :-)

Cost:
for the meeting itself I anticipate no costs
(but all I offer for that is the place to meet -
 I expect each to pay his own food in the
 university cafetaria etc.)

Accomodation:
 - I could find our secretary's list of the addresses of hotels
   and bed&breakfast places
 - for those who prefer a mattrass (or so) on the floor,
   we might be able to accomodate a few people at mechiel's
   place and at my place (within constraints like those
   imposed on us by those who also live there -
   in my case wife, two young children, two cats :-)

Wifi access:
our university seems to have "Europe's largest Wi-Fi hotspot"
(according to some web page here)
I guess it should be possible to arrange (guest) access,
but for that it might be useful to have your mac-addresses
in advance.

Any other thing I forgot?
Please let me know (either here or in private mail).
Other topics for the meeting could probably be proposed
just as well in 9fans.

Most important, let me know (private mail probably best)
your ideas about when and how long.
Note: I will probably not have email access from nov 10 - nov 24.

Axel.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2004-11-05 15:13 UTC | newest]