* [9fans] replica problem
@ 2004-11-10 12:45 cej
From: cej @ 2004-11-10 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>9pccpuf kernels.  just rebooting won't make you run a new fossil, you
>need to explicitly recompile your kernel.  this problem can be solved
>if one is using two fossils on a pure file server -- one to boot the
>local machine, the other to be executed from cpurc to serve everyone
>else.  bell-labs use this setup.

>andrey

perhaps someone has the precompiled kernel? TIA,

++pac.

---
Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
Verze: 6.0.792 / Virová báze: 536 - datum vydání: 9. 11. 2004

* Re: [9fans] replica problem
@ 2004-11-10 13:23 ` Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2004-11-10 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

cej@gli.cas.cz wrote:
> >9pccpuf kernels.  just rebooting won't make you run a new fossil, you
> >need to explicitly recompile your kernel.  this problem can be solved
> >if one is using two fossils on a pure file server -- one to boot the
> >local machine, the other to be executed from cpurc to serve everyone
> >else.  bell-labs use this setup.
>
> perhaps someone has the precompiled kernel? TIA,

Updated kernels get pulled into /386.

* Re: [9fans] replica problem
@ 2004-11-09 15:07     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-11-09 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the fossil and venti binaries are compiled in the kernel for 9pcf and
9pccpuf kernels.  just rebooting won't make you run a new fossil, you
need to explicitly recompile your kernel.  this problem can be solved
if one is using two fossils on a pure file server -- one to boot the
local machine, the other to be executed from cpurc to serve everyone
else.  bell-labs use this setup.

andrey

> I wrote (being a complete numpty :-):
>> Doing a pull and restarting fossil (for example by rebooting :-) might
>> help you.
>
> That's where you're problem is. Sorry.
>
> So, you can try and reboot with your fossil being explicitly started
> with the -AWP options?
>
> Or you could try and start a new fossil -AWP (will that work?) onto a
> different mount point and grab the new fossil from sources?
>
> Robby

* Re: [9fans] replica problem
@ 2004-11-09 14:16   ` Robert Raschke
From: Robert Raschke @ 2004-11-09 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2004-11-09 14:12 ` Robert Raschke
From: Robert Raschke @ 2004-11-09 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>>  % echo 'srv -AWP replica' >> /srv/fscons
>>>% mount -c /srv/replica /n/boot
>>>
>> Perhaps you get some error message on the fossil console?
>
> fscons complains about  '-W' option
> date of my 'con' is
> --rwxrwxr-x M 8 sys sys 76131 May 20 14:17 /bin/con
> if it is relevant.

I think somebody mentioned this before.  It is very likely that you
have an old copy of fossil.  I cannot remember when the -W and -P
options moved to be parameters to the fscons srv command (they used to
be options to the fossil executable itself.

@ 2004-11-09 13:30 cej
From: cej @ 2004-11-09 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>  % echo 'srv -AWP replica' >> /srv/fscons
>>% mount -c /srv/replica /n/boot
>>
> Perhaps you get some error message on the fossil console?

fscons complains about  '-W' option
date of my 'con' is
--rwxrwxr-x M 8 sys sys 76131 May 20 14:17 /bin/con
if it is relevant.

thanks,
++pac

Peter A. Cejchan
Lab of Paleobiology and Paleoecology
Prague, EU
http://www.gli.cas.cz/home/cejchan

---

@ 2004-11-05  9:48 cej
From: cej @ 2004-11-05  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> usage: 'srv -Adp replica'
>>
>> however , -Adp didn't work either, I had to remove all options, and voila!
>Did you use a very old version of fossil?

maybe of June, or so?

>permission checking and allow arbitrary changes to owner and user
>fields when doing a pull.
>
>The d flag causes fossil to delete a service. That's definitely not
>wanted for the clientmount. ;-) You can use it after the pull was
>successful.

i did pull -s, restored config files, and it seems to work. should try another pull
now, though...

[nice to see the development moving so rapidly forward, indeed!]

++pac

---
Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
Verze: 6.0.786 / Virová báze: 532 - datum vydání: 29. 10. 2004

* Re: [9fans] replica problem
@ 2004-11-04 20:24 ` Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2004-11-04 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

cej@gli.cas.cz wrote:
> >  % echo 'srv -AWP replica' >> /srv/fscons
> >  % mount -c /srv/replica /n/boot
> >
> >  Perhaps you get some error message on the fossil console?
>
> that's it! err message was
> usage: 'srv -Adp replica'
>
> however , -Adp didn't work either, I had to remove all options, and voila!

Did you use a very old version of fossil?

Usually, one needs the flags AWP to circumvent authentication, disable

@ 2004-11-04 13:42 cej
From: cej @ 2004-11-04 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  % echo 'srv -AWP replica' >> /srv/fscons
>  % mount -c /srv/replica /n/boot
>
>  Perhaps you get some error message on the fossil console?

that's it! err message was
usage: 'srv -Adp replica'

however , -Adp didn't work either, I had to remove all options, and voila!

thanks, regards,

@ 2004-11-03 11:43 ` Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2004-11-03 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

cej@gli.cas.cz wrote:
> on fossil:
>
> term% replica/pull /dist/replica/network
> mount: can't open /srv/replica: '/srv/replica' file does not exist
> clientmount: mount 428: open
> term%
>
> What am I missing?

No idea.. I don't know why it could fail this way (if you didn't
modify /dist/replica/network). Try to execute the clientmount function
of the sript manually:

@ 2004-11-03  9:21 cej
From: cej @ 2004-11-03  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

simply repeating
replica/pull /dist/replica/network

didn't help. Did you mean it so?

++pac.

---

@ 2004-11-01 14:18 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-11-01 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> on fossil:
>
> term% replica/pull /dist/replica/network
> mount: can't open /srv/replica: '/srv/replica' file does not exist
> clientmount: mount 428: open
> term%

stale /srv/replica, just run it once more and it'll be fine.

* [9fans] replica problem
@ 2004-11-01 13:08 cej