* [9fans] PCMCIA Interrupt Issues
@ 2004-11-13 23:43 blstuart
From: blstuart @ 2004-11-13 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm having some trouble getting networking working on a
couple of older NEC laptops.  They have the TI 1131 PCMCIA
chipsets.  The first issue that shows up (and I think this
is the root of the problem) is reported as:

#Y0: No interrupt?
i8259enable: irq 0 shared but not level
intrenable: couldn't enable irq 0, tbdf 0xC001800 for cardbus

then for the other controller:

#Y1: No interrupt?

It does find the ethernet card and it does get far enough
to send DHCP requests.  In fact I see that the DHCP server
gets the requests and sends responses, but the laptop never
seems to get them.  The card's stats do report seeing packets,
but I don't seem to ever be getting to the interrupt handler.
I'm pretty sure this isn't a driver issue since I'm seeing
it with a 3c589, a 3c575 and an EC2T.

Anybody seen anything like this?  Any suggestions on making
the PCMCIA support happy with the 1131?

Thanks in advance,
Brian L. Stuart

* Re: [9fans] PCMCIA Interrupt Issues
@ 2004-11-14  1:05 ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2004-11-14  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Which model of NEC laptop? I have an old Versa 6030 somewhere which
used to work but I can't try it until Tuesday. Last time I used it was
before the Cardbus support went in, and the relevant config lines were

	ether0=type=3C589 irq=15
	pcmcia0=type=xxx irq=10

I think now you would also have to try disabling the Cardbus support
and only use the i82365 PCMCIA code by

	pccard0=disabled

If I remember correctly, that laptop only had Cardbus in one slot, the
other was PCMCIA only.

--jim

* Re: [9fans] PCMCIA Interrupt Issues
@ 2004-11-15  1:56   ` blstuart
From: blstuart @ 2004-11-15  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

In message <cd238bafce48ccd1b5343c0290afee01@plan9.bell-labs.com>, jmk@plan9.be
ll-labs.com writes:
>Which model of NEC laptop? I have an old Versa 6030 somewhere which
>used to work but I can't try it until Tuesday.

I think it's from the same family.  The one I'm doing most of my
work with is a 6260.  I've also got an LXi that I want to get
working, but I've also got video issues there.  (The really
frustrating thing is that I once had video working, but seem
to have failed to save all the changes necessary.)

>I think now you would also have to try disabling the Cardbus support
>and only use the i82365 PCMCIA code by
>
>	pccard0=disabled

Peter Bosch also suggested this.  It seems to have made some
improvement in that it does seem to think it is properly configuring
an interrupt for the slot.  However, I still have no joy in
getting communication.  I've tried both letting it select the
irq itself and setting a few combinations (including the ones
you suggested).  Unfortunately, the symptoms are still the
same.  The DHCP server sees the discover and sends an offer.
Reading the /net/ether0/stats file shows that we've received
packets.  But there's no evidence that ipconfig ever saw anything.
However, now that I know the right driver to look at, I'll try
to find some time to dig a little deeper.

>If I remember correctly, that laptop only had Cardbus in one slot, the
>other was PCMCIA only.

To be honest, I don't really know the difference.  It does seem
to be reporting the same controller for both slots.

Thanks again,
Brian L. Stuart