* [9fans] CPU/Auth/Fileserver confusion
@ 2004-12-19 12:31 Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2004-12-19 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I got another piece of hardware and made a CPU/Auth und fossil based
fileserver out of my Plan 9 box. The Wiki page and andreys LANL setup
page were helpful.

If I start the terminal standalone, I can cpu to the CPU server and
can import its filesystem with 9fs.

The next step was to boot a 9pc kernel on terminal locally and get
root fs from the server. I can login as user und the dossrv of the
lib/profile gets executed. But nothing more and rio doesn't start and
there are messages like:

fifo stat 0 scrio dc000000 scr80283a04 pc 80176803

I spent the night with it and really don't find out what the problem
is.

Any help or hints appreciated,
Heiko :-(

* Re: [9fans] CPU/Auth/Fileserver confusion
@ 2004-12-19 14:06 ` Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2004-12-19 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Heiko Dudzus wrote:

> The next step was to boot a 9pc kernel on terminal locally and get
> root fs from the server. I can login as user und the dossrv of the
> lib/profile gets executed. But nothing more and rio doesn't start and
> there are messages like:
>
> fifo stat 0 scrio dc000000 scr80283a04 pc 80176803

Well... I made a small run in my favourite forest and I wondered why
in the world I tried to run a current userland on top of an outdated
kernel.

ouch.

* Re: [9fans] CPU/Auth/Fileserver confusion
@ 2004-12-19 16:08 ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2004-12-19 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Dec 19 09:50:39 EST 2004, heiko.dudzus@gmx.de wrote:
> I got another piece of hardware and made a CPU/Auth und fossil based
> fileserver out of my Plan 9 box. The Wiki page and andreys LANL setup
> page were helpful.
>
> If I start the terminal standalone, I can cpu to the CPU server and
> can import its filesystem with 9fs.
>
> The next step was to boot a 9pc kernel on terminal locally and get
> root fs from the server. I can login as user und the dossrv of the
> lib/profile gets executed. But nothing more and rio doesn't start and
> there are messages like:
>
> fifo stat 0 scrio dc000000 scr80283a04 pc 80176803
>
> I spent the night with it and really don't find out what the problem
> is.
>
> Any help or hints appreciated,
> Heiko :-(

That sounds like there's a problem with the acceleration of your
video card. I can only find that print in the neomagic driver, and
it's commented out in the source. Check you have up to date source
for the kernel.

When bringing up a terminal with new hardware, it's often best to
not start aux/vga (and subsequently, rio) automatically. Comment out
the vgasize and monitor lines in plan9.ini, boot it, it should come
up to a shell prompt, then you can play with aux/vga manually, e.g.

	aux/vga -p>/tmp/x

will log in x what the curent state of the vga card is and you can
look there to see if aux/vga found any problems (unknown card, etc.);

	aux/mouse ps2

for example will make sure you have a mouse if you get the graphics
working (chnage the argument to what you have);

	aux/vga -m monitor -lpv resolution>/tmp/y

will try to start the graphics with the monitor type and size you
choose (e.g. -m t23 -lpv 1024x768x16) and also log progress and
problems in /tmp/y.

--jim

* Re: [9fans] CPU/Auth/Fileserver confusion
@ 2004-12-19 18:51   ` Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2004-12-19 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
> On Sun Dec 19 09:50:39 EST 2004, heiko.dudzus@gmx.de wrote:
> > fifo stat 0 scrio dc000000 scr80283a04 pc 80176803
>
> That sounds like there's a problem with the acceleration of your
> video card. I can only find that print in the neomagic driver, and
> it's commented out in the source. Check you have up to date source
> for the kernel.

Thanks a lot, Jim.

I'm ashamed about my mistake. ;-/ The 9pc kernel on the terminal was
too old for the binaries. I should have taken /386/9pc from CPU server
(Netbooting not supported by BIOS)