* [9fans] wavelan driver, 802.1x supplicant
@ 2005-08-21  1:12 Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2005-08-21  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have been hacking the wavelan driver a bit to add 'fast key setting'
i.e. key setting without breaking the connection to the accesspoint.
this is needed by 802.1x when it updates wep keys 'on the fly'.
(for 802.1x supplicant see below)

I based the changes on a linux orinoco driver.
there were some differences between that one and ours.

most notably regarding use of registers Data0 and Data1.
using these more like in the linux driver seems to
avoids triggering the error message that was disabled in
our driver (because it seems we got it all the time).
(Information about proper usage of Data0/Data1 most welcome).

another difference is our use of 'include clear packets' vs.
their 'auth type open/shared-key'. Using the latter instead
of the former also seems to avoid triggering an error
msg from the card.

I maybe got carried away a bit when adding info to ifstats,
part of which is read afresh each time ifstats is read -
which may be too much (esp. when most ifstats reading
is done by 'stats -8').

I think I did not break anything, but I wouldn't mind
having that confirmed by others.
To try, see:
	http://plan9.cs.utwente.nl/wlanfastkey/
which contains alternative wavelan.[ch] and
etherwavelan.c for /sys/src/9/pc .

I have a first rough cut of a 802.1x supplicant for ttls-pap,
which is the only thing I can test. If someone can
test other variants we might see how to add those.

it depends on tlshand patches I recently patch/create-ed,
and on the wlan driver fast key setting.

the code is not pretty, but seems to work. first rough cut.
constructive criticism is welcome, the README
gives some idea of what I hope to improve.

http://plan9.cs.utwente.nl/8021x.tgz

Enjoy,
Axel.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-08-21  1:12 UTC | newest]