From: Mechiel Lukkien <mechiel@xs4all.nl>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] driver list
Date: Tue,  6 Sep 2005 14:33:19 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 04:06:41PM +0200, Gabriel IVANES wrote:
> Sergey Reva wrote:
>
> >Hello Charles, 9fans
> >
> >let me start
> >
> >Sound card
> >C-Media CMI8x38 PCI
> >One of the worst sound card (by quality) which I seen (too many noise
> >while recording)
> >Have 4, 6-ch version and SPDIF interface
> >Used as embedded sound (cmi8338) in some mainboard
> >
> >Reference:
> >* http://cmedia.com.tw/
> >* http://mike.qnx.org.ru/cmi/index_e.htm  - driver for qnx
> >* ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/manuals/cmi/ - docs, ALSA driver
> >
> >As I see c-media (cmedia.com.tw) reduce (remove registers map
> >description) current specification (ver 1.5) to ~20 pages
> >when ver. 06 (can be found in alsa ftp server) contain 44 pages...
> >
> >I already tryed write driver for it but nothing work (except looking for
> >device)
> >I have cmi8738/PCI-SX 4-ch, through few month I can help with testing.
> >
> >Sergey
> >

> Hi 9fans,
>
> I've got a C-media CMI8738 MCI..
>
> guess i'll have to try writing a driver too :/
> or adding a sb16 compatible card

i (used to) have a card like this too.  the chipsets were(/are) in
the cheapest sound cards i could buy at the local stores.  i tried
to write a driver for it, but that stalled and was abandoned.  i
did find the specs, but could not entirely interpret them (also not
after i had read some code from BSD's).

i guess a driver for this would give at quite a few people a chance
to play/record audio on plan9.

mechiel