* [9fans] Xenoppix and Plan 9
@ 2005-09-14  8:36 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-09-14  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

As the name (Xenoppix) implies, Plan 9 now runs more
independently of underlying hardware.  Hope you like it.

The announcement:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2005-09/msg00463.html

The distribution site:
	http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/xen/index-en.html

# and thanks for sokoban :)

* Re: [9fans] Xenoppix and Plan 9
@ 2005-09-14 14:01 ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2005-09-14 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

YAMANASHI Takeshi wrote:
> As the name (Xenoppix) implies, Plan 9 now runs more
> independently of underlying hardware.  Hope you like it.

This is *REALLY* neat. I think it partly answers the question people
kept asking me one year ago, "Why xen?".

I can't wait to try it out!

ron

* Re: [9fans] Xenoppix and Plan 9
@ 2005-09-14 22:16   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2005-09-14 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/14/05, Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> wrote:
> YAMANASHI Takeshi wrote:
> > As the name (Xenoppix) implies, Plan 9 now runs more
> > independently of underlying hardware.  Hope you like it.
>
> This is *REALLY* neat. I think it partly answers the question people
> kept asking me one year ago, "Why xen?".
>
> I can't wait to try it out!

Likewise!  I'll have to get some DVDs to burn :)

> ron

* Re: [9fans] Xenoppix and Plan 9
@ 2005-09-15  2:06 ` Kuniyasu Suzaki
From: Kuniyasu Suzaki @ 2005-09-15  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I'm a member of "Xenoppix" Developing Team.  We could released Plan9
on Xenoppix with help of Dr. Yamanashi. We thank him for his help and
ML announce.

Xenoppix is a kind of "KNOPPIX" which include a virtual machine
monitor "Xen". KNOPPIX sets up device drivers and offers us X window
System. GUI of GuestOS is mapped to the X11 using VNC full-screen
mode.  So it looks GuestOS boots standalone.
The GuestOS can work as a server because of VIF-Bridge of Xen.
Current Guest OSes are Plan9 and NetBSD. They are selectable at boot time.

The HP has simple explanation and snapshot-figure of Xenoppix boot with Plan9 and NetBSD.
   http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/xen/index-en.html
The DVD iso image is offered Bittorrent and FTP.
   Torrent file http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/xen/knoppix_v4.0_20050608_linuxtag_xen-20050912+IPAFont.iso.torrent

Take care the requirement to boot GuestOS.
   Network connection must be on "eth0" Interface. (*** Important ***)
       Because Host KNOPPIX and Guest OS must get IP address from DHCP via "eth0".
   Desirable memory is more than 512MB.

Please try and have fun.

------
suzaki

 >>From: YAMANASHI Takeshi <9.nashi@gmail.com>
 >>Subject: [9fans] Xenoppix and Plan 9
 >>
 >>As the name (Xenoppix) implies, Plan 9 now runs more
 >>independently of underlying hardware.  Hope you like it.
 >>
 >>The announcement:
 >>http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2005-09/msg00463.html
 >>
 >>The distribution site:
 >>	http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/xen/index-en.html
 >>
 >># and thanks for sokoban :)
 >>--

* Re: [9fans] Xenoppix and Plan 9
@ 2005-09-17 21:01   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2005-09-17 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Just got around to burning and booting this DVD... linux can't seem to
find my DVD drive and it just drops to a limited shell...

Of course this machine is terrible to begin with...  I'll try on a
different machine.

Dave

On 9/14/05, Kuniyasu Suzaki <k.suzaki@aist.go.jp> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a member of "Xenoppix" Developing Team.  We could released Plan9
> on Xenoppix with help of Dr. Yamanashi. We thank him for his help and
> ML announce.
>
> Xenoppix is a kind of "KNOPPIX" which include a virtual machine
> monitor "Xen". KNOPPIX sets up device drivers and offers us X window
> System. GUI of GuestOS is mapped to the X11 using VNC full-screen
> mode.  So it looks GuestOS boots standalone.
> The GuestOS can work as a server because of VIF-Bridge of Xen.
> Current Guest OSes are Plan9 and NetBSD. They are selectable at boot time.
>
> The HP has simple explanation and snapshot-figure of Xenoppix boot with Plan9 and NetBSD.
>    http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/xen/index-en.html
> The DVD iso image is offered Bittorrent and FTP.
>    Torrent file http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/xen/knoppix_v4.0_20050608_linuxtag_xen-20050912+IPAFont.iso.torrent
>
> Take care the requirement to boot GuestOS.
>    Network connection must be on "eth0" Interface. (*** Important ***)
>        Because Host KNOPPIX and Guest OS must get IP address from DHCP via "eth0".
>    Desirable memory is more than 512MB.
>
> Please try and have fun.
>
> ------
> suzaki
>
>  >>From: YAMANASHI Takeshi <9.nashi@gmail.com>
>  >>Subject: [9fans] Xenoppix and Plan 9
>  >>
>  >>As the name (Xenoppix) implies, Plan 9 now runs more
>  >>independently of underlying hardware.  Hope you like it.
>  >>
>  >>The announcement:
>  >>http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2005-09/msg00463.html
>  >>
>  >>The distribution site:
>  >>     http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/xen/index-en.html
>  >>
>  >># and thanks for sokoban :)
>  >>--

* Re: [9fans] Xenoppix and Plan 9
@ 2005-09-19 10:04     ` Kuniyasu Suzaki
From: Kuniyasu Suzaki @ 2005-09-19 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Bootable DVD drives are reduced because bootloader of Xenoppix is
replaced from "isolinux" to "grub". Xen requires "grub" as booloader.
"grub" is not superior to "isolinux" as DVD bootloader.

Please try another machine.

------
suzaki

* Re: [9fans] Xenoppix and Plan 9
@ 2005-09-15  0:15 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-09-15  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > > As the name (Xenoppix) implies, Plan 9 now runs more
> > > independently of underlying hardware.  Hope you like it.

I can't wait to see Plan 9 dom0 either, if possible at all! :)

Many diskless p9 cpu servers could run various OSes
and their filesystem images be on a single p9 file server
with daily snapshots efficiently saved on venti...