* [9fans] First Time Plan 9 User
@ 2005-10-04  3:54 email
From: email @ 2005-10-04  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I just started using Plan 9 and I've been having a lot of difficulty and I'm not sure why, but before I go on let me first mention that I'm running Plan 9 on the latest version of qemu on Mac OS X.

So I installed it freshly from the plan9.iso.bz2 with all the default options. When I first boot up, I run as the none user. I wanted to create a rian user, so i did 'con /srv/fscons' and 'uname rian rian' then control-/ and 'q'.

Then i did 'auth/changepass rian' entered my passwords and etc. but at the end i get "changepass: blah blah rian: invalid permissions" So I figured that i'd reboot the system and try logging in as rian without a password. Rio starts up, but just stays there and doesn't do anything (I can move the mouse though).

This is all I've done, I didn't start a cpu server or anything else manually. I have a slight feeling that maybe Rio just stays empty because of a bad vga driver with qemu but I can't really be sure.

I've looked at the wiki several times, but there doesn't seem to be any information about what to do after a fresh install from the default distribution. Any advice would be severely appreciated! I've been avid to use Plan 9 for some time now, and I hate the fact that I'm having a hard time getting started (I don't want a negative stimulus). Thanks!
-rian

* Re: [9fans] First Time Plan 9 User
@ 2005-10-04  4:33 ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2005-10-04  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You need to right click to open a new window.

For details see rio(1) and
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Using_rio/

uriel

@ 2005-10-04  7:58 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2005-10-04  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: email, 9fans

Don't get disheartened, you have done many things right.

> Then i did 'auth/changepass rian' entered my passwords and etc. but at the end
> i get "changepass: blah blah rian: invalid permissions" So I figured that i'd
> reboot the system and try logging in as rian without a password. Rio starts up,
> but just stays there and doesn't do anything (I can move the mouse though).

The initial installation does not run the nescessary programs to support
passwords on user accounts, so I am not surprised this does not work.

It would be the correct thing to do if you where installing a CPU server
but a disk-full terminal does not need/use passwords.

As uriel said, when you rebooted in as yourself rio started, unfortunately you
didn't have any exciting programs started from your login script so you get just
a grey screen. If you right click and select NEW you will get a terminal window.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] First Time Plan 9 User
@ 2005-10-04  8:33   ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2005-10-04  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> As uriel said, when you rebooted in as yourself rio started,
> unfortunately you didn't have any exciting programs started
> from your login script so you get just a grey screen.

If you reboot and log in as user glenda there will be some exciting
programs started -- at least, that used to be the case for the
'native' installation (did not try recently) -
I assume this works as well on qemu?

Axel.