* Re: [9fans] grep  on news (usenet)?
       [not found] <20051210110822.GA740@first.in-berlin.de>
@ 2005-12-10 17:59 ` "Nils O. Selåsdal"
From: "Nils O. Selåsdal" @ 2005-12-10 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Oliver Bandel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> when thinking about what I read in descriptions about
> Plan9, then doing a grep on usenet-news should be an easy
> task, because servers and the files on servers are
> represented as files... so usenet-news as files on
> newsservers should possibly easily be grep'ed with what comes
> to plan9 users with the system?!
>
> It would be a lot of sockets- and protocoll-programming stuff
> on Unix/Linux... but how easy whould that be on Plan9?

cpu% nntpfs news.songnetworks.no
cpu% cd /mnt/news/comp/os/plan9
cpu% grep 'grep on news' */header
[after "a while"]
45352/header:Subject: Re: [9fans] grep on news (usenet)?

* Re: [9fans] grep  on news (usenet)?
@ 2005-12-11  3:29   ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2005-12-11  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 06:59:01PM +0100, "Nils O. Selsdal" wrote:
> Oliver Bandel wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >when thinking about what I read in descriptions about
> >Plan9, then doing a grep on usenet-news should be an easy
> >task, because servers and the files on servers are
> >represented as files... so usenet-news as files on
> >newsservers should possibly easily be grep'ed with what comes
> >to plan9 users with the system?!
> >
> >It would be a lot of sockets- and protocoll-programming stuff
> >on Unix/Linux... but how easy whould that be on Plan9?
>
> cpu% nntpfs news.songnetworks.no
> cpu% cd /mnt/news/comp/os/plan9
> cpu% grep 'grep on news' */header
> [after "a while"]
> 45352/header:Subject: Re: [9fans] grep on news (usenet)?

really cool! :)

no socket-programming, just some commands and all is fine... :)

Looks lik e"Plan9 is it!" :)

Ciao,
   Oliver

P.S.: OK, with a local nntp-server (innd or something like that,
      a grep also could be done (find and grep), but *really*
      grepping in the net... hehehh, fine OS. So I'm looking
      for hardware then, where Plan9 will run witjout problems... :)
      BTW: any hints for this? (what's about IBM notebooks?)

@ 2005-12-10 11:22 ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2005-12-10 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs