* [9fans] ndb and FQDNs.
@ 2005-12-26 17:32 erik, quanstrom <quanstro
From: erik, quanstrom <quanstro @ 2005-12-26 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

on a unix machine:
	; host dexter-peak
	; host dexter-peak.quanstro.net

both return a value. with this ndb entry

ip=192.168.0.4 sys=dexter-peak dom=quanstro.net
	smtp=dexter-peak.quanstro.net
	mx=dexter-peak.quanstro.net

ndbquery (plan9 ndb/query) returns
	; ndbquery sys dexter-peak
	ip=192.168.0.4 sys=dexter-peak dom=quanstro.net smtp=dexter-peak.quanstro.net mx=dexter-peak.quanstro.net
	; ndbquery sys dexter-peak.quanstro.net

how do i enter things so the second query works? also,
how do i enter a multi-homed machine?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] ndb and FQDNs.
@ 2005-12-26 18:43 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2005-12-26 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: quanstro, 9fans

> how do i enter things so the second query works? also,

	dom=dexter-peak.quanstro.net

but the querry ought to be for "dom", not "sys".  I don't know if
multiple "sys" entries would be logical or permissible.

> how do i enter a multi-homed machine?

Multiple "dom" entries?  Nothing that I'm aware of says that "sys" is
a more significant key than "dom".

Experimenting, of course, may be the way to figure some things out.
But as I understand it, there are very few special treatments applied
to NDB entries, all of them documented in ndb(6).

++L

* Re: [9fans] ndb and FQDNs.
@ 2005-12-26 19:31   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2005-12-26 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, lucio

lucio@proxima.alt.za writes

| > how do i enter things so the second query works? also,
|
| 	dom=dexter-peak.quanstro.net
|
| but the querry ought to be for "dom", not "sys".  I don't know if
| multiple "sys" entries would be logical or permissible.

clearly i misread the example. i should have had sys=dexter-peak dom=dexter-peak.quanstro.net

| > how do i enter a multi-homed machine?
|
| Multiple "dom" entries?  Nothing that I'm aware of says that "sys" is
| a more significant key than "dom".

multi-homed as in a machine with addresses 192.168.0.1/16, 10.0.0.1/8
and fe80::240:f4ff:febf:3a75/64. for example in bind syntax:

dexter-peak.quanstro.net.	in a	192.168.0.1
			in a	10.0.0.1
			in aa	fe80::240:f4ff:febf:3a75/64

before posting i read the ndb(7) page and tried things like this:

ip=192.168.0.4 ip=10.0.0.1 sys=dexter-peak dom=dexter-peak.quanstro.net
	smtp=dexter-peak.quanstro.net
	mx=dexter-peak.quanstro.net

but ndbmkdb drops this on the floor.

| Experimenting, of course, may be the way to figure some things out.
| But as I understand it, there are very few special treatments applied
| to NDB entries, all of them documented in ndb(6).
|
| ++L

* Re: [9fans] ndb and FQDNs.
@ 2005-12-27  3:20 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-12-27  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erik quanstrom, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> on a unix machine:
>         ; host dexter-peak
>         ; host dexter-peak.quanstro.net
>
> both return a value.

because both look up dexter-peak.quanstro.net,
the first one only implicitly.

> with this ndb entry
>
> ip=192.168.0.4 sys=dexter-peak dom=quanstro.net
>         smtp=dexter-peak.quanstro.net
>         mx=dexter-peak.quanstro.net
>
> ndbquery (plan9 ndb/query) returns
>         ; ndbquery sys dexter-peak
>         ip=192.168.0.4 sys=dexter-peak dom=quanstro.net smtp=dexter-peak.quanstro.net mx=dexter-peak.quanstro.net
>         ; ndbquery sys dexter-peak.quanstro.net
>
> how do i enter things so the second query works?

ndbquery dom dexter-peak.quanstro.net

dom is for dns names.  sys is for local system names
(yes there is life without dns).

> also, how do i enter a multi-homed machine?

put in a second ip= attribute.
why are you using ndb on unix?

russ

* Re: [9fans] ndb and FQDNs.
@ 2005-12-27  3:51   ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2005-12-27  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> why are you using ndb on unix?

I'd like to answer that.  I'd be a lot happier with NDB than with ISC
DHCPD's (and BIND's) idea of a database.  Preferably the best from both.

Hard to do DDNS, mind you, but then I _do_ remember where DHCP started
and DDNS is still as superfluous now as it was then.

++L

PS: Off to Cape Town, now, so I'm unlikely to get back to this for a
couple of days.

* Re: [9fans] ndb and FQDNs.
@ 2005-12-27  3:57   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2005-12-27  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, Russ Cox

Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> writes

| > on a unix machine:
| >         ; host dexter-peak
| >         ; host dexter-peak.quanstro.net
| >
| > both return a value.
|
| because both look up dexter-peak.quanstro.net,
| the first one only implicitly.

i've worked for more than one registrar and more
than one registry. please don't remind me how it works. ;-)

| dom is for dns names.  sys is for local system names
| (yes there is life without dns).

thanks. i've got that straight, now.

| > also, how do i enter a multi-homed machine?
|
| put in a second ip= attribute.

didn't work for me. that's why i asked.
ndb/mkdb drops the entry on the floor. i must be doing something wrong.
here's what i had:

ip=192.168.0.4 ip=192.168.0.1 sys=dexter-peak dom=dexter-peak.quanstro.net

how should it be?

| why are you using ndb on unix?

besides plan9 envy, upas is pretty tight with ndb.
(as are many other plan9 applications.)
i thought that it'd be easier to port ndb than to
completely rearrange upas.
i was not planning on using ndb to store much data.
just enough to get by and then have a magic word
in the ndb database that does a call out to the host
system's dns (or yp or whatever).

- erik

* Re: [9fans] ndb and FQDNs.
@ 2005-12-27  4:02     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2005-12-27  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, lucio

well unless russ gets too mad at me, i intend to get the dns stuff going.
unfortunately, the connection service stuff looks a little too far out
there for unix.

btw, does anybody know of a portable way to get all the interface addresses
on a unix machine? <ifaddrs.h> from the gnu library seems to Do The Right
Thing. does it work on bsd-based systems, solaris, osx?

- erik

lucio@proxima.alt.za writes

| > why are you using ndb on unix?
|
| I'd like to answer that.  I'd be a lot happier with NDB than with ISC
| DHCPD's (and BIND's) idea of a database.  Preferably the best from both.
|
| Hard to do DDNS, mind you, but then I _do_ remember where DHCP started
| and DDNS is still as superfluous now as it was then.
|
| ++L
|
| PS: Off to Cape Town, now, so I'm unlikely to get back to this for a
| couple of days.

* Re: [9fans] ndb and FQDNs.
@ 2005-12-27  4:07       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-12-27  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erik quanstrom, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> well unless russ gets too mad at me, i intend to get the dns stuff going.
> unfortunately, the connection service stuff looks a little too far out
> there for unix.

i got dns running okay last night.  converting it to
use libthread will take a little effort, but a single-threaded
one basically just works.

what amazes me about having dns running on unix is
that in plan9port rfork(RFMEM|RFPROC) returns -1,
and dns actually copes gracefully and still functions.

russ