* [9fans] old alpha boot question
@ 2006-01-03 19:34 Benjamin Huntsman
From: Benjamin Huntsman @ 2006-01-03 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Anyone remember off the top of their heads why the Alpha bootloader had to be downloaded over TFTP?  Is there a good reason why it couldn't be started from a floppy (or hard disk)?

Last time I tried to get it up and running, the Alpha boot stuff didn't like being served from a non-Plan9 server...

...and yes, I know the Alpha is dying.  I'm not giving mine up, though.

-Ben

[-- Attachment #2: winmail.dat --]
[-- Type: application/ms-tnef, Size: 2656 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] old alpha boot question
@ 2006-01-03 20:15 ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2006-01-03 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think it was just done that way for convenience when debugging
the port. From what I remember, the Alpha firmware will happily boot
from a floppy if you have the layout correct, and the layout is
something trivial like a start address and a count of following
blocks to load.

--jim

@ 2006-01-03 21:39   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-01-03 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

the alpha bootloader is full-on.  you can run "ps" e.g.
i can find out details from the guy who wrote it.
send me a private with any and all questions.
'tis the season to be jolly.

brucee

@ 2006-01-04  3:58 ` Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2006-01-04  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

In message <7DD37218104E31429E79EB0BB136800E265E58@vargas.ntdom.cupdx>, "Benjam
in Huntsman" writes:
>...and yes, I know the Alpha is dying.  I'm not giving mine up, though.

Me either.  But I don't have Plan 9 on mine.  It's a Digital Server 5300
(aka Alpha Server 1200).  Anyone have an educated guess how much work
would be involved with getting Plan 9 up on it?

Thanks,
BLS