* [9fans] kernels
@ 2006-03-10 15:24 Russ Cox
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-03-10 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

    uriel
              abhey: the fact that the kernels are out of sync OTOH
              is reason enough to have russ beaten up until he fucking
              understands THAT THE GOD DAMNED KERNELS SHOULD BE IN
              SYNC

    noselasd  uriel: which kernels are out of sync ?

    uriel     noselasd: CD-boot, installer, and installed; as usual
              *sigh*

It's actually hard to imagine how much more in sync these three kernels
could be.  They're all built from the same source, and the CD and
installer kernels are rebuilt every night.  I do tend not to push out the
"real" kernels every time there is a change, just to avoid making people
download new kernels constantly.  (The kernels embed the build time in
their binaries, so if you just did a straight cmp you'd think they were
new every night.)

I thought you were worried about kernels built from other trees not
being in sync, like 9load and the Inferno kernels.  I see you've moved
on to more pressing concerns.

It's true that in an ideal world, if one of the kernels booted on a machine,
all three would boot.  One way to do that would be to use the same kernel
in all three cases.  Another would be to fix the kernel so that it can handle
all the possible hardware configurations out there without bugs.
The first way is silly and doesn't solve the problem; the second is difficult
but is what we're working toward, slowly.  You're welcome to help.

We *cannot* use the same kernel for all three situations.  At the least,
the root file server connection mechanism is different whether you're
booting from a CD in the CD-ROM drive, a small in-memory ram file system
hard-coded into the kernel, or a local fossil.  Sure, we could put all
three into one big kernel and only use that, but it's nonsense to encode
the installer's ramfs into every kernel used everywhere.

What causes differences between the three situations usually *isn't* the
kernel but rather the kernel configuration or plan9.ini.  For example,
the installer kernel doesn't include devusb, devlpt, or devaudio, all
to keep it a little smaller.  We've seen problems where people install
successfully and then something about the usb scan during the regular boot
makes their system not boot.  There's very little one could do about that
besides put usb into the installer kernel so that it breaks earlier.
But we can't, for space reasons.  As another example, the plan9.ini
during the install sets *nomp=1 but the regular plan9.ini does not.
So if you something about the SMP code doesn't like your system, as we
saw a few days ago, then the installed system won't boot.  These are all
bugs to be fixed, but forcing us to debug them on the boot floppy instead
of after install time doesn't really seem like the right solution to me.

This is Plan 9, not Red Hat.  It's a research system.  Some hardware
configurations haven't been tried before and won't work.  With bug
reports, we are usually able to fix them.  If you'd like to fix any of
the lapses in driver support so that the kernels run flawlessly on more
systems, then by all means go ahead.  It's not useful just to jump up
and down shouting solutions (in this case, "THE GOD DAMNED KERNELS
SHOULD BE IN SYNC") that don't make any sense and don't even fix the
problem in many cases.

It's too bad you weren't around when the install was text-only and then
people would boot the installed system only to find out that their vga
card wasn't supported.  Those were the good old days.  You would have
loved that.

Russ

* [9fans] kernels
@ 2003-11-01  3:35 David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-11-01  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I brought the kernel and libc sources up to date with what we're
running at the labs.  Problems to me.