* [9fans] T21 boot failure after successful install
@ 2006-04-08 15:24 Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2006-04-08 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i've recently acquired an IBM ThinkPad T21, which claims to be
supported, so of course i did the only sensible thing to do with such
kit: i installed plan 9 on it. the install went (seemingly)
flawlessly, but upon rebooting, things hang very early on, right after
this:

MBR...PBS...Plan 9 from Bell Labs
ELCR: 0800
apm ax=f000 cx=f000 dx=40 di=ffff ebx=43b3 esi=-1
dev A0 port 1F0 config 045A capabilities 0F00 mwdma 0007 udma 041F
dev A0 port 170 config 85C0 capabilities 0F00 mwdma 0007 udma 0407

the lines are reliably the same.

also, the freshly-installed 9fat partition has no plan9.ini in it.
that seems odd. i've tried creating one (based of the one in
/sys/lib/dist/pc/plan9.ini.cd, since the cd boot works just fine), but
that had no discernible effect. my thought was that something from the
plan9.ini would be making a difference (*nomp, maybe?), but that at
least seems not to be it.

all help greatly appreciated.

* Re: [9fans] T21 boot failure after successful install
@ 2006-04-08 18:18   ` quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-04-08 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

don't the ethernet drivers get initialized before the ata disks,
which do print a message?

- erik

@ 2006-04-08 18:27 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-04-08 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-04-08 19:27     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-04-08 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> don't the ethernet drivers get initialized before the ata disks,
> which do print a message?

in 9load, no.
in the kernel, yes.

russ

* Re: [9fans] T21 boot failure after successful install
@ 2006-04-09  3:02   ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2006-04-09  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/8/06, Russ Cox wrote:
// Try booting a cd and then running

[a bunch of instructions for replacing 9load w/ 9loadlite

well, that's changed the behavior, at least. now i get to 'boot from',
but fd0 is the only recognized boot device (which is odd, since
there's no floppy in the thing).

And jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
// ...the T21 can have either an Intel 82557 or a 3Com
// mini-PCI ethernet installed. If it's the latter, I don't
// think we've ever tried that and possible problems with
// the 3Com drivers have been reported recently.

the kernel from the cd does report an elnk3; i've not yet had a chance
to test the network on it. again, though, the cd kernel boots clean
with no problem.

* Re: [9fans] T21 boot failure after successful install
@ 2006-04-11  1:45 ` Glenn Holmer
From: Glenn Holmer @ 2006-04-11  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Saturday 08 April 2006 10:24, Anthony Sorace wrote:
> i've recently acquired an IBM ThinkPad T21, which claims to be
> supported, so of course i did the only sensible thing to do with such
> kit: i installed plan 9 on it.

Anybody tried it on a T43?

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)
"I love virtuosity.  I love danger."  -Pierre Boulez, 2005

* Re: [9fans] T21 boot failure after successful install
@ 2006-04-10  1:37 ` Adrian Tritschler
From: Adrian Tritschler @ 2006-04-10  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
> If I remember correctly, the T21 can have either an Intel 82557 or
> a 3Com mini-PCI ethernet installed. If it's the latter, I don't
> think we've ever tried that and possible problems with the 3Com
> drivers have been reported recently.

I had a T21 with the 3com.  Up until the 9load changes last year it was
successfully booting, but I ran into an unresolved hang after that
(approx. early November).  I could boot from floppy and then run the KFS
system, but my previous boot from the WinXP boot menu now failed.

Never got it resolved since shortly afterwards I had to hand the T21
back to my employer in a blank and formatted state.

	Adrian

Adrian Tritschler                          mailto:ajft@ajft.org
Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E, Altitude 50m,      Shoe size 44

* Re: [9fans] T21 boot failure after successful install
@ 2006-04-08 17:35 jmk