* Re: [9fans] alpha port?
@ 2006-09-07 11:08 Jean Mehat
From: Jean Mehat @ 2006-09-07 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Two years ago, I made (with a lot of help from jmk) two minor modifications
to make alphapc boot on a Dec Personnal Workstation, model st550. I tried
weakly to adapt the video card driver from 386 to alphapc, but got caught
by other tasks.

* Re: [9fans] alpha port?
@ 2006-09-13 10:02       ` Paweł Lasek
From: Paweł Lasek @ 2006-09-13 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/7/06, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> i think that's right. i had a 164 which dhog used for alpha stuff.

Well, the machine I've got is Alphastation 255/233 with latest SRM
available for it.
21064A 233MHz and 128-bit 32MB ram should be enough to try porting
Plan9 to it? :-)

While I don't have very good coding skills, I'll try to adapt existing
code to make it boot, then rewrite loader to allow direct booting from
disk drive (pka0: 53c810 scsi). I'll try to bring it's 21041 and my
21040 and 21140 network cards to work too.

Unfortunately I can't give any estimates for that work (I don't have
normal internet access and I need to prepare a working place for my pc
- I'm in the middle of painting/laying floor my room...)

Any additional info about plan9 on alpha would be appreciated.

--
Paul Lasek

* Re: [9fans] alpha port?
@ 2006-09-07 15:44     ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-09-07 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/7/06, geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com <geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote:
> The port is for the Alpha PC 164 (see /sys/doc/port.*) but I believe
> Andrey and others have had it running on other models.  The list
> archives should have the details.  The models vary quite a bit, so
> moving Plan 9 to a model that nobody has run Plan 9 on before may
> involve some work.
>
> We still have an Alpha PC 164 here for testing, but I don't think
> anyone is actively working on the Alpha port.

* Re: [9fans] alpha port?
@ 2006-09-06 20:58   ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-09-06 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-09-05 21:08 ` Paweł Lasek
From: Paweł Lasek @ 2006-09-05 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/5/06, John Floren <slawmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I've heard on #plan9 that there is support for some alpha machines;
> can somebody who uses that tell me how well it works? What models are
> supported? Is it a pain to get everything up and working?
> Thanks

I second that question. I can't recall now what models were supported,
but I am certainly looking for knowledge about alpha support, since I
am going to gain an Alphastation 255/233 which I want to use to play
with programming., so I could test if it would work with Plan9 (it has
standard tulip network interface and SRM Console. I need to check what
kind of SCSI controller is in use.)

--
Paul Lasek

* [9fans] alpha port?