* Re: Re: [9fans] something evil happening when partitioning a hdd with the plan9 installer
@ 2007-04-09 20:07 Brian L.Stuart
From: Brian L.Stuart @ 2007-04-09 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Also, I still can not boot plan9 from grub for some odd reason. I tells me it can't bot the system.
> Plan9 is on the /dev/sda1 partition, and here is how I am trying to boot it in grub:
>
> root (hd0,0)
> chainloader +1
> boot
>
> I also tried putting rootnoverify instead of root, but it doesn't work either, and I also tried the makeactive option after root (hd0,0), but again, no avail.

That's pretty close to what I have.  Mine is installed on /dev/hda1 (the
second primary partition) and my grub entry looks like:

title=Plan9
  rootnoverify (hd0,1)
  chainloader +1

So in principal, if everything is set up correctly and you have the Plan 9
boot block at the beginning of the partition, it should work.  Is the
error coming from Plan 9 or from grub?

BLS

* Re: [9fans] something evil happening when partitioning a hdd with the plan9 installer
@ 2007-04-09 23:34 ` John Soros
From: John Soros @ 2007-04-09 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 15:07:52 -0500
Brian L.Stuart <blstuart@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> > Also, I still can not boot plan9 from grub for some odd reason. I tells me it can't bot the
> > system. Plan9 is on the /dev/sda1 partition, and here is how I am trying to boot it in grub:
> >
> > root (hd0,0)
> > chainloader +1
> > boot
> >
> > I also tried putting rootnoverify instead of root, but it doesn't work either, and I also tried
> > the makeactive option after root (hd0,0), but again, no avail.
>
> That's pretty close to what I have.  Mine is installed on /dev/hda1 (the
> second primary partition) and my grub entry looks like:
>
> title=Plan9
>   rootnoverify (hd0,1)
>   chainloader +1
>
> So in principal, if everything is set up correctly and you have the Plan 9
> boot block at the beginning of the partition, it should work.  Is the
> error coming from Plan 9 or from grub?
>
> BLS

Grub is complaining that it can't boot the partition. Howcome /dev/hda1 is the second partition on your system?
I think I'll try installing plan9 again, in a few days as right now I don't really have time to do so, this time going through the bootsetup phase. Maybe I'll even download a current iso.
Also, I see that you don't have a "boot" line in your grub config after chainloader, that might be the problem, I'll check without it.

Johnny

* Re: Re: [9fans] something evil happening when partitioning a hdd with the plan9 installer
@ 2007-04-10  2:42 Brian L.Stuart
From: Brian L.Stuart @ 2007-04-10  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Grub is complaining that it can't boot the partition.

That would make me suspect that the Plan 9 boot block didn't
get installed in the relevant partition.  But that's more a guess
than a knowlegable answer.

> Howcome /dev/hda1 is the second partition on your system?

Oops.  My mistake.  It's /dev/hda2.

BLS