* [9fans] let's talk contrib
@ 2007-04-28 18:03 mattmobile
From: mattmobile @ 2007-04-28 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

tbz is Lunix, surely.
If we value simplicity, contrib should be pre expanded.
discuss ?

* Re: [9fans] let's talk contrib
@ 2007-04-28 18:10 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2007-04-28 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mattmobile, 9fans

> tbz is Lunix, surely.
> If we value simplicity, contrib should be pre expanded.
> discuss ?

A valid point, specially when Venti lies behind it.  But 'Net
bandwith/volumes also count.  Unfortunately, there is no easy way to
add compression to "cp", specially when running off a remote
filesystem.  On the other hand, given that cpu connections are
encrypted (I forget what is the case about remote file system
connections), maybe filesystem connections can be run over TLS
_with_compression_.

Why does that make me think of SSH-2?

++L

* Re: [9fans] let's talk contrib
@ 2007-04-29  1:11   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-04-29  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, 9fans

On Sat Apr 28 14:10:31 EDT 2007, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
> > tbz is Lunix, surely.
> > If we value simplicity, contrib should be pre expanded.
> > discuss ?
>
> A valid point, specially when Venti lies behind it.

venti doesn't do compression.

an uncompressed tar is still somewhat foreign to plan 9.
a mkfs archive would be a little closer to home.
but why archive?  just copy the file tree.

(yes.  i know.  my contrib area is filled with compressed tarballs.
old habits die hard.  bad habits die harder.  old, bad habits. ...
i need a beer.)

- erik

* Re: [9fans] let's talk contrib
@ 2007-04-29  2:07     ` Federico Benavento
From: Federico Benavento @ 2007-04-29  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hola,

I guess we need some conventions, for example where are we
going to put all the contrib files in our trees?
If we had such convention we could just use replica.

--
Federico G. Benavento

* [9fans] Re: let's talk contrib
@ 2007-04-29  2:37       ` Darren Bane
From: Darren Bane @ 2007-04-29  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Federico Benavento <benavento@gmail.com> wrote:
> hola,
>
> I guess we need some conventions, for example where are we
> going to put all the contrib files in our trees?
> If we had such convention we could just use replica.

This came up on the Inferno list some time ago.

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.inferno.general/2629

I'm not sure, but are the Plan 9 equivalents /src, /include and
/bin?

!snipped!
--
Darren Bane