* [9fans] PPP fix
@ 2007-05-10 14:33 James Cook
From: James Cook @ 2007-05-10 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Plan 9's ip/ppp doesn't work with my PPPoE ISP (Sympatico).

A few years ago I investigated and figured out how to make
it work.  I think it had something to do with Plan 9's end
of the connection not preserving configuration information
when sending acknowledgements; sorry I can't remember in
more detail.

In case anyone else is having the same problem, here's the
diff.

cpu% cpu% diff /n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/ip/ppp/ppp.c /sys/src/cmd/ip/ppp/ppp.c
1111c1111
< 					dropoption(p, o);
---
> /*					dropoption(p, o);*/
1129c1129
< 					dropoption(p, o);
---
> /*					dropoption(p, o);*/
1138c1138
< 				dropoption(p, o);
---
> /*				dropoption(p, o);*/
1143c1143
< 					dropoption(p, o);
---
> /*					dropoption(p, o);*/
1152c1152
< 				dropoption(p, o);
---
> /*				dropoption(p, o);*/
1157c1157
< 					dropoption(p, o);
---
> /*					dropoption(p, o);*/
1166c1166
< 				dropoption(p, o);
---
> /*				dropoption(p, o);*/
1171c1171
< 					dropoption(p, o);
---
> /*					dropoption(p, o);*/
1180c1180
< 				dropoption(p, o);
---
> /*				dropoption(p, o);*/

James

* Re: [9fans] PPP fix
@ 2007-05-10 14:40 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-05-10 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Plan 9's ip/ppp doesn't work with my PPPoE ISP (Sympatico).

Do you still use Plan 9 & PPP with this ISP?

I worked through this with someone else a while back
and I think a better fix is

static void
dropoption(Pstate *p, Lcpopt *o)
{
	unsigned n = o->type;

	switch(n){
>>		case Oipaddr:
>>			break;
		case Oipdns:
			p->optmask &= ~Fipdns;
			break;

but he had other problems too so we never really
got to try this.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] PPP fix
@ 2007-05-10 15:13   ` James Cook
From: James Cook @ 2007-05-10 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 10:40:47AM -0400, Russ Cox wrote:
> > Plan 9's ip/ppp doesn't work with my PPPoE ISP (Sympatico).
>
> Do you still use Plan 9 & PPP with this ISP?
>
> I worked through this with someone else a while back
> and I think a better fix is
>
> static void
> dropoption(Pstate *p, Lcpopt *o)
> {
> 	unsigned n = o->type;
>
> 	switch(n){
> >>		case Oipaddr:
> >>			break;
> 		case Oipdns:
> 			p->optmask &= ~Fipdns;
> 			break;
>
> but he had other problems too so we never really
> got to try this.
>
> Russ

Yes, I still use this ISP.  I just tried applying your change
instead of mine, and it works.

Thanks
  James