* [9fans] booting... which video modes will be accepted?
@ 2007-05-26 12:42 Oliver Bandel
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2007-05-26 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I'm back to Plan9 and to this list, and have just tried to
oot the current image.

Booting worked.
I had to use the correct boot device.
Than also I have to change the local!#S/.../data to my device.

When I came to the point to select the video-resolution,
I found no working resolution.

I tried the default; it made crazy pictures on the screen.
Following the troubleshooting-description, I typed in the
correct resolution of the LCD: 1280x1024.

I tried with 1280x1024x8 and with 1280x1024.

Both didn't worked.

When using 1280x1024x8 I thought this should be available
as minimum color resolution. Maybe I have to type in
bigger values? The message was, that in /lib/vgadb
there is no matching entry.

What value could work?

TIA,
   Oliver

* Re: [9fans] booting... which video modes will be accepted?
@ 2007-05-26 13:47 ` Martin Neubauer
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Martin Neubauer @ 2007-05-26 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Try different monitor settings. For example the documentation of my laptop
claims it to have a xga display. However, I have to set monitor=versalx to
have correct graphics. Xga should be the right setting for lcd displays
though. In my experience colour depth never was an issue (impacts on
performance of bitmap-heavy programs, notablysome in bin/games, aside).

	Martin

* Re: [9fans] booting... which video modes will be accepted?
@ 2007-05-26 13:51 ` Martin Neubauer
From: Martin Neubauer @ 2007-05-26 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Reading the original mail again, it looks like the graphics card is not
recognised. Have a look at
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Installation_troubleshooting/index.html
(and submit a patch when you have found the right setting for your card).

	Martin

* Re: [9fans] booting... which video modes will be accepted?
@ 2007-05-26 13:55 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-05-26 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

what is your monitor setting?  if you are using the vesa
standard, you can check for available modes by using

	aux/vga -m vesa -p

some graphics cards don't work (well) in vesa mode.
some card only work in vesa mode.

so you will need to set your monitor environment
variable to try a non-vesa mode.  it's difficult to
guess what would work on your hardware.  a good
start may be 1280x1024, but it's difficult to guess.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] booting... which video modes will be accepted?
@ 2007-05-26 14:19   ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2007-05-26 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 03:51:34PM +0200, Martin Neubauer wrote:
> Reading the original mail again, it looks like the graphics card is not
> recognised. Have a look at
> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Installation_troubleshooting/index.html
> (and submit a patch when you have found the right setting for your card).

[...]

So I have to to it again and again.

It would be fine, if there would be a loop for typing different things.
Or how can the setting be tried automatically?

What information to write into which file and which program to
start then?

Is there a rudimentary shell, in which I can type in a loop?

BTW: how to load different keyboard-settings?

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [9fans] booting... which video modes will be accepted?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-05-29 15:17 ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2007-05-29 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 02:42:37PM +0200, Oliver Bandel wrote:
[...]
> When using 1280x1024x8 I thought this should be available
> as minimum color resolution. Maybe I have to type in
> bigger values? The message was, that in /lib/vgadb
> there is no matching entry.
[...]

Someone, who can mail me the current /lib/vgadb?

So I can directly look inside and do it systematically.

--
Softwarepatente sind Produktpiraterie

* Re: [9fans] booting... which video modes will be accepted?
@ 2007-05-29 16:45   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-05-29 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Someone, who can mail me the current /lib/vgadb?
>
> So I can directly look inside and do it systematically.

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/plan9/lib/vgadb

* Re: [9fans] booting... which video modes will be accepted?
@ 2007-05-29 18:30     ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2007-05-29 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 12:45:25PM -0400, Russ Cox wrote:
> > Someone, who can mail me the current /lib/vgadb?
> >
> > So I can directly look inside and do it systematically.
>
> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/plan9/lib/vgadb

many thanks! :)

Ciao,
   Oliver