From: Bakul Shah <bakul+plan9@bitblocks.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] p9p mk issue
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:43:22 -0800	[thread overview]

> Also, if you have lots of complicated scripts in all your
> mkfiles, maybe you are missing a chance to refactor
> the complication into a single included mkfile that
> can have MKSHELL=rc in it.  Then you've only got one.

That was the first thing I tried -- didn't I mention that in
my original email on this?  But setting MKSHELL in an
included file works for only that file and then we are back
to sh.

Try this and watch it fail:

echo MKSHELL=rc > mkshell
echo '
<mkshell
all:
	for (i in a b)
		echo $i
' > mkfile
mk

I didn't consider this behavior to be a bug because the man
page says

    Mkfiles included via < or <| (q.v.) see their own private
    copy of MKSHELL, which always starts set to sh .

But if you expect the above script to work, then consider
this email exchange a tortured bug report!

Actually I don't really care what change you make.  As long
as I can limit MKSHELL=rc to one file I am happy!

Thanks for all the great software and your patience responses.

Have a great tofurkey day!