* [9fans] Compressed filesystem
@ 2007-12-23 12:05 Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2007-12-23 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi folks,

is anyone working on an compressed filesystem ?

I'm currently using fuse-compress (on Linux) for an compressed
backup storage (done via rsync). But it's a bit too unstable
and doesn't help much on small files.

cu
	http://patches.metux.de/

* Re: [9fans] Compressed filesystem
@ 2007-12-23 13:14 ` Martin Neubauer
From: Martin Neubauer @ 2007-12-23 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

venti?

* Re: [9fans] compressed filesystem
@ 2007-08-10 15:59 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-08-10 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/10/07, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> is there already an compressed (9p-)filesystem ?
> I'm doing regular rsync backups of several machines and like to
> save disk space. Performance is not important here.

What are you backing up? /home or /usr or /usr/local or ....

depending on what you are backing up, venti may be a huge win, as
duplicate blocks from different machines will result in only one block
being written.

What is "several" -- 2 or 3 or ...

What's the disk space issue? how much disk?

ron

* Re: [9fans] compressed filesystem
@ 2007-08-10 14:03   ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2007-08-10 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

vacfs, the venti-backed file server is read-only. Not sure if that's
what Enrico needs.

Thanks,
    Lucho

@ 2007-08-10 11:29     ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2007-08-10 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

venti works on linux with plan9ports, take a look at the plan9ports
manual pages.

slds.

gabi

@ 2007-08-10 11:24   ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2007-08-10 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2007-08-10 10:41 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2007-08-10 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, 9fans

> is there already an compressed (9p-)filesystem ?
> I'm doing regular rsync backups of several machines and like to
> save disk space. Performance is not important here.

Venti compresses data as the archive back-end to Fossil.  That would
meet your requirements pretty closely, I think.

++L

* Re: [9fans] compressed filesystem
@ 2007-08-10 10:25 ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2007-08-10 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

venti compress the blocks it stores iirc, so if you put the data into
a fossil which dumps to a venti server, you will be compressing the
data.

gabi

On 8/10/07, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> is there already an compressed (9p-)filesystem ?
> I'm doing regular rsync backups of several machines and like to
> save disk space. Performance is not important here.
>

> cu
> --
>  Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
>  Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
>         http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
>  Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
>         http://patches.metux.de/

* [9fans] compressed filesystem
@ 2007-08-10 10:20 Enrico Weigelt
                   ` (2 more replies)