* [9fans] VMs and current plan9.iso
@ 2008-01-24 18:50 Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2008-01-24 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Okay... I know this is hashed out on the wiki, and has a long track
recorded in 9fans, but why is it that we can boot from CD on VMWare
and then install but then never boot from the installed system?  Yes,

   echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl

is required.  Yes it is set, but the first reboot and fossil (&|
venti) will just hang and nothing happens to get into a usable
system.  I do need to read up on rdb usage, though that gets a little
complex w/o an actual serial console.

Is there something that can just be copied over from the plan9.iso
that would let the system boot and be usable under VMWare?

jas

* Re: [9fans] VMs and current plan9.iso
@ 2008-01-24 18:55 ` benavento
From: benavento @ 2008-01-24 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you forgot the other trick, you either disable the cdrom
or put it in scsi emulation mode.

hth

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4261 bytes --]

From: Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] VMs and current plan9.iso
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 12:50:14 -0600

@ 2008-01-24 19:33   ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2008-01-24 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

the nice thing about scsi emulation mode... is it doesn't get nearly
as far as any of the other options:

^t ^t p

1:
2:
3:
5:
6:  factotum pc	18ed2 dbgpc     18ed2	Pread (Wakeme) ut 0 st 0 bss
3f000 qpc 0 nl 0 nd 0 lpc f01bd72e pri 10

whereas keeping the drive in ide mode at least gets me to:

init: starting /bin/rc
  1:
28:    floppy pc        0 dbgpc      0    Wakeme (Wakeme) ut 0 st 0
bss 0 qpc 0 nl 0 nd 0 lpc f01bd72e pri 13

hrm.. no idea why a floppy is showing up there, I didn't configure
that either.

jas

@ 2008-01-24 21:46     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-01-24 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> the nice thing about scsi emulation mode... is it doesn't get nearly
> as far as any of the other options:

I don't believe SCSI emulation is enough.
If there is no CD in the drive, you have to
*delete* it from the VM config in order for
Plan 9 not to hang on boot.  Clearly Plan 9
and VMware disagree about what an empty
CD drive looks like.

Russ

* [9fans] Re: VMs and current plan9.iso
@ 2008-01-25  9:56   ` prem
From: prem @ 2008-01-25  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> the nice thing about scsi emulation mode... is it doesn't get nearly
> as far as any of the other options:
Here is my vmx configuration for CDROM

scsi1:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi1:0.fileName = "z:\plan9.iso"