* [9fans] window placement rio in p9p
@ 2008-01-31 19:00 Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2008-01-31 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've been messing around with a new laptop at
work (the hinges on the old one broke), and
along the way, I'm reminded of something that's
bugged me for a while.  Is there any way to
tell rio to move a window that's not manual
(i.e. using the mouse)?  Is there something
in p9p equivalent to opening a control file
and writing a command into it, or alternatively
is there an app that will generate a ConfigureRequest
event on behalf of a specific window?

If you're interested in the context, here it
is.  The p9p apps and good old fashioned,
well-behaved X apps support command-line
arguments to establish the initial window
placement.  But the ill-behaved apps (e.g.
pretty much anything built on gtk) seem
to assume some other strange policy.  For
example, no matter what I do firefox starts
in the upper left corner of the screen.
By contrast pidgin always starts where it
was placed last.  But neither of these
behaviors are what I want.  I want to
specify the placement in my .xinitrc and
to have the specific placement be based
on my network address, so that I start
different apps at home vs. at work.

Any thoughts?

BLS

* Re: [9fans] window placement rio in p9p
@ 2008-02-01  2:21 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-02-01  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've been messing around with a new laptop at
> work (the hinges on the old one broke), and
> along the way, I'm reminded of something that's
> bugged me for a while.  Is there any way to
> tell rio to move a window that's not manual
> (i.e. using the mouse)?  Is there something
> in p9p equivalent to opening a control file
> and writing a command into it, or alternatively
> is there an app that will generate a ConfigureRequest
> event on behalf of a specific window?

Gee, I thought optimistically, that shouldn't be
*too* hard -- I still have all the X crap paged in
from yesterday's full-size changes.

I was wrong.  But it's done: see xshove in rio(1).

xshove Firefox +20,10
xshove Firefox 500x800
xshove Firefox 0,0,800,600
xshove Firefox +100x200

The possibilities are endless.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] window placement rio in p9p
@ 2008-02-01 15:47 Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2008-02-01 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@swtch.com>
> Gee, I thought optimistically, that shouldn't be
> *too* hard -- I still have all the X crap paged in
> from yesterday's full-size changes.
>
> I was wrong.  But it's done: see xshove in rio(1).

Sweet!  I had kind of the same optimistic thought,
but hoped it had already been done.  Thanks for
subjecting yourself to more X stuff.

BLS