* [9fans] libixp
@ 2008-11-25 17:22 Giacomo Tesio
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Giacomo Tesio @ 2008-11-25 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Anyone know if with such a library I could write an application on linux
mountable from Plan 9?

I've understood it could be used for syntetic fs accessible from the local
machine (as for wmii), but what about accessing such filesystem from
outside?

Giacomo

* Re: [9fans] libixp
@ 2008-11-25 17:42 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-11-25 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I used libixp to import plan 9 file systems on bg/p to linux host.
Don't see any reason it won't work in the other direction.

I like it. It is even thread safe now.

ron

* Re: [9fans] libixp
@ 2008-11-26  2:24 ` sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2008-11-26  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 2:22 AM, Giacomo Tesio <giacomo@tesio.it> wrote:
> Anyone know if with such a library I could write an application on linux
> mountable from Plan 9?
>
> I've understood it could be used for syntetic fs accessible from the local
> machine (as for wmii), but what about accessing such filesystem from
> outside?

 Yes, libixp will listen on a tcp socket no problem (try
WMII_ADDRESS='tcp!*!6457'). It doesn't support auth as yet, so you'll
have to mount -n.
 Also the error message you get when ixp_announce fails is fucking
incomprehensible/useless/misleading, it's on my todo list but the 40
hours work week kicks the crap out of my meagre time management
skills.
-sqweek

* Re: [9fans] libixp
@ 2008-11-30 23:46 ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2008-11-30 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Giacomo Tesio <giacomo@tesio.it> wrote:

> Anyone know if with such a library I could write an application
> on linux mountable from Plan 9?

libmixpsrv

cu

 cellphone: +49 174 7066481   email: info@metux.de   skype: nekrad666

* Re: [9fans] libixp
@ 2008-11-25 22:19 Magnus Deininger
From: Magnus Deininger @ 2008-11-25 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Anyone know if with such a library I could write an application on
> linux mountable from Plan 9?
>
> I've understood it could be used for syntetic fs accessible from the
> local machine (as for wmii), but what about accessing such filesystem
> from outside?
>

> Giacomo

worst case scenario you might need to write some different transport code that works for you, but the library itself should work just fine. the 9p protocol is the same for all implementations after all. the code in libixp is fairly straightforward, so you should be able to modify the code easily if needed.
Sensationsangebot nur bis 30.11: WEB.DE FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.web.de/?ac=OM.AD.AD008K13805B7069a