* Re: [9fans] 8th edition RFS docs
@ 2009-02-17 18:21 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2009-02-17 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, steve

RFS was developed by USG, the group that did System V.  It was a
competitor with Sun's NFS for a while; in many ways it was technically
superior, but it didn't get off the ground in the Unix world because of
licensing issues with the SVR3 license.  I rather doubt that it had much
influence on 9P, but I don't know that for sure.

You could check with USENIX (www.usenix.org) to see if copies of the
proceedings are available online.

You might could find used copies of the 10th edition manuals via Amazon
or e-bay (I own a set! :-); soft copies are not available outside Bell
Labs, I don't think.

That work was done by the research group and may well have influenced 9P,
but only those who were there at the time could say for sure.

HTH,

Arnold

> From: "Steve Simon" <steve@quintile.net>
> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 17:15:09 +0000
> To: 9fans@9fans.net
> Subject: [9fans] 8th edition RFS docs
>
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for papers describing the RFS file system,
> (A precursor of 9p I believe).
>
> I found these references but no papers; I think the first
> one is the most relevant.
>
> 	Rifkin, A.P., Forbes, M.P., Hamilton, R.L., Sabrio, M., Shah, S., Yueh, K.
> 	"RFS Architectural Overview"
> 	Usenix Summer Conference Proceedings, Atlanta. 1986.
>
> 	Bach, M.J., Luppi, M.W., Melamed, A.S., Yueh, K.
> 	"A Remote-File Cache for RFS"
> 	Usenix Summer Conference Proceedings, Phoenix. 1987.
>
> 	"A look at the ninth edition network file system"
> 		From Volume II of the 10th edition manual [sic]
>

> -Steve

* [9fans] 8th edition RFS docs
@ 2009-02-17 17:15 Steve Simon