* [9fans] aux/sshserve
@ 2009-07-13 15:42 Venkatesh Srinivas
From: Venkatesh Srinivas @ 2009-07-13 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,

Has anyone had any success setting up aux/sshserve on Plan 9? I've
used aux/ssh_genkey, but have had no luck getting the server to accept
connections...

Thanks,
-- vs

* Re: [9fans] aux/sshserve
@ 2009-07-14 11:40 ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2009-07-14 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:42:56 -0400
Venkatesh Srinivas <me@acm.jhu.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone had any success setting up aux/sshserve on Plan 9? I've
> used aux/ssh_genkey, but have had no luck getting the server to accept
> connections...

IIRC plan 9 ssh is well out of date, only working with the relatively insecure version 1 of the ssh protocol. There is openssh in contrib.

--
Ethan Grammatikidis

Those who are slower at parsing information must
necessarily be faster at problem-solving.

* Re: [9fans] aux/sshserve
@ 2009-07-14 12:15   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-07-14 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> IIRC plan 9 ssh is well out of date, only working with the relatively insecure version 1 of the ssh protocol. There is openssh in contrib.

which is half the story.  the other half is that the openssh port
is bigger than gs and breaks too often.  this would be okay,
but the code is large and dense.  kind of like a 500# fruitcake.
i don't like fruitcake.  especially fruitcake with bugs in it.
a native ssh implementation would be useful.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] aux/sshserve
@ 2009-07-14 14:00     ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2009-07-14 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 08:15:58 -0400
erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

> > IIRC plan 9 ssh is well out of date, only working with the relatively insecure version 1 of the ssh protocol. There is openssh in contrib.
>
> which is half the story.  the other half is that the openssh port
> is bigger than gs and breaks too often.  this would be okay,
> but the code is large and dense.  kind of like a 500# fruitcake.
> i don't like fruitcake.  especially fruitcake with bugs in it.
> a native ssh implementation would be useful.

Ah yes, "Breaks too often" seems to be a not uncommon complaint against openssL even on un*x systems, at least . It has a hairy build system, at any rate.

I wonder if porting YaSSL would be a good idea. I think it includes ssh binaries or there may be a related YaSSH package.