* [9fans] Help needed - Boot Failure...
@ 2009-07-18  2:04 Lyle Bickley
From: Lyle Bickley @ 2009-07-18  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I am new to Plan 9 - so I started introducing myself to it with the "live CD" running on an older industrial single board computer (Celeron). Everything worked as expected - including the install.

Given those good results, I decided to create a server. I grabbed an older Supermicro Server which seemed to have all the major components I needed to boot and have video:

Video: ATI Rage XL
Ethernet: (2) Intel Pro/100 ports
CDROM as master on secondary
Dual Pentium III 933MHz, 1GB ECC RAM
PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse (3 button Logitech)
ATA and SCSI  HDD

Upon booting the "live CD", I got the following:

PBS1...
Plan 9 from Bell Labs
ELCR: 0E00
pcirouting: 8086/1229 at pin 1 irq 164
pcirouting: 8086/1229 at pin 1 irq 164

Then the system froze. The only way to get out of the hangup was to reset.

I tried changing a few BIOS parameters related to I/O interrupts - but that didn't change the error condition.

The BIOS on the motherboard was an early edition - so I decided up update it to the latest BIOS.

After updating the BIOS and setting all the BIOS parameters appropriately, I tried booting the Plan 9 "live CD" again. This time I got the following:

PBS1...
Plan 9 from Bell Labs
ELCR: 0E20

At this point, the system froze.

I don't know enough about where to find help for this kind of problem online - I suspect that the ELCR messages describe an error or status condition(?).

I'd appreciate some guidance in tackling this problem...

Thanks in advance...

Cheers,
Lyle
--