* [9fans] first timer - editing plan9.ini
@ 2009-07-19 22:51 Corey
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Corey @ 2009-07-19 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Ok, so I have my fossil+venti and hopefully soon-to-be cpu and auth-server
booted up for the first time, and I'm in rio as user glenda.

I'm continuing to follow the docs, which is prompting me to edit plan9.ini for
various things.

sam is completely opaque to the uninitiated. (I'm a mere vi fanatic)

Before I go into sitting down and learning sam, it would be nice to simply be
able get the machine running in a minimally satisfactory way, i.e.: network
online, display running at reasonable depth, venti finished, and auth-serv
working.

Can someone give me just the bare minimal sam command/info that I need to:

edit a couple lines
close and save properly

... better yet: is there a simple/minimal editor that doesn't require
learning a command language to begin using it first?

I began by beginning to read through sam_tut.pdf, and I look forward to
gaining proficiency with it... but not at this moment - I just want to get my
new plan9 box running so I can access it remotely.

As it is, I'm guessing I'm just going to hose my plan9.ini if I try editing it
before I'm well familiar with sam...

THanks!

* Re: [9fans] first timer - editing plan9.ini
@ 2009-07-19 22:58 ` hiro
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: hiro @ 2009-07-19 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

acme

* Re: [9fans] first timer - editing plan9.ini
@ 2009-07-19 23:02 ` John Floren
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John Floren @ 2009-07-19 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Corey<corey@bitworthy.net> wrote:

> Ok, so I have my fossil+venti and hopefully soon-to-be cpu and auth-server
> booted up for the first time, and I'm in rio as user glenda.
>
> I'm continuing to follow the docs, which is prompting me to edit plan9.ini for
> various things.
>
> sam is completely opaque to the uninitiated. (I'm a mere vi fanatic)
>
> Before I go into sitting down and learning sam, it would be nice to simply be
> able get the machine running in a minimally satisfactory way, i.e.: network
> online, display running at reasonable depth, venti finished, and auth-serv
> working.
>
> Can someone give me just the bare minimal sam command/info that I need to:
>
> edit a couple lines
> close and save properly
>

> ... better yet: is there a simple/minimal editor that doesn't require
> learning a command language to begin using it first?
>
> I began by beginning to read through sam_tut.pdf, and I look forward to
> gaining proficiency with it... but not at this moment - I just want to get my
> new plan9 box running so I can access it remotely.
>
> As it is, I'm guessing I'm just going to hose my plan9.ini if I try editing it
> before I'm well familiar with sam...
>

> THanks!

You can use acme if you want. Otherwise:

% 9fat:
% sam /n/9fat/plan9.ini
right click and select the filename, then midclick in the white area
of the sam window. This should bring up the file.
Make your changes, then click in the light blue part of the sam
window. Type 'w' and hit enter, then type 'q' and hit enter. This
should write and quit.

You can basically treat sam like ed with windows, but there are more
complex commands available too.

Myself, I usually use acme.

John
--
"I've tried programming Ruby on Rails, following TechCrunch in my RSS
reader, and drinking absinthe. It doesn't work. I'm going back to C,

* Re: [9fans] first timer - editing plan9.ini
@ 2009-07-19 23:04 ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2009-07-19 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The few minutes spent learning ed(1) will be well repaid. You'll be
one of the smartest guys on your block.

iPhone email

@ 2009-07-19 23:18   ` Corey
From: Corey @ 2009-07-19 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sunday 19 July 2009 16:04:05 Brantley Coile wrote:
> The few minutes spent learning ed(1) will be well repaid. You'll be
> one of the smartest guys on your block.

Yes, however I simply want to put off that learning, from: _right_this_moment_,
to: _after_my_box_is_online_.

* Re: [9fans] first timer - editing plan9.ini
@ 2009-07-19 23:19   ` Corey
From: Corey @ 2009-07-19 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sunday 19 July 2009 16:02:20 John Floren wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Corey<corey@bitworthy.net> wrote:
<snip>
> > Can someone give me just the bare minimal sam command/info that I need
> > to:
> >
> > edit a couple lines
> > close and save properly
> >
> You can use acme if you want.

That was my first effort (though it suffered similar issue: must acclimate to
acme before you can configure your new installation) - however, when I
tried to traverse /n/9fat/plan9.ini, acme complained that there was no
such file; so, being completely new to plan 9, my progress at that point
came to a complete standstill.

> Otherwise:
>
> % 9fat:
> % sam /n/9fat/plan9.ini
> right click and select the filename, then midclick in the white area
> of the sam window. This should bring up the file.
> Make your changes, then click in the light blue part of the sam
> window. Type 'w' and hit enter, then type 'q' and hit enter. This
> should write and quit.

Thanks - I'll try this.

Another quick question:

Just to be safe, I would like to copy the org plan9.ini before I try to modify
it; so if I hose it, I can move it back; how would I do this?

Cheers

* Re: [9fans] first timer - editing plan9.ini
@ 2009-07-19 23:25     ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2009-07-19 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Corey<corey@bitworthy.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 19 July 2009 16:02:20 John Floren wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Corey<corey@bitworthy.net> wrote:
> <snip>
>> > Can someone give me just the bare minimal sam command/info that I need
>> > to:
>> >
>> > edit a couple lines
>> > close and save properly
>> >
>> You can use acme if you want.
>>

> That was my first effort (though it suffered similar issue: must acclimate to
> acme before you can configure your new installation) - however, when I
> tried to traverse /n/9fat/plan9.ini, acme complained that there was no
> such file; so, being completely new to plan 9, my progress at that point
> came to a complete standstill.

Run 9fat: first, then run acme in the same window. Or, run acme, then
do the command "Local 9fat:" inside the editor.

You need to learn about namespaces. And the task you're setting out to
perform is not a difficult one, especially considering that a terminal
boots with Acme already showing the readme file--so READ ME. The
"Local" trick may be the only part that's not obvious.

>> Otherwise:
>>
>> % 9fat:
>> % sam /n/9fat/plan9.ini
>> right click and select the filename, then midclick in the white area
>> of the sam window. This should bring up the file.
>> Make your changes, then click in the light blue part of the sam
>> window. Type 'w' and hit enter, then type 'q' and hit enter. This
>> should write and quit.
>>

> Thanks - I'll try this.
>

> Another quick question:
>
> Just to be safe, I would like to copy the org plan9.ini before I try to modify
> it; so if I hose it, I can move it back; how would I do this?
>

> Cheers

% 9fat:    #do this if you haven't already
% cp /n/9fat/plan9.ini /n/9fat/plan9.ini.bak

John
--

@ 2009-07-19 23:28     ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2009-07-19 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

cp plan9.ini plan9.ini.old

acme didn't see /n/9fat/plan9.ini because the 9fat partition wasn't
mounted in its namespace.

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] first timer - editing plan9.ini
@ 2009-07-19 23:30       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-07-19 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Jul 19 19:30:10 EDT 2009, benavento@gmail.com wrote:
> cp plan9.ini plan9.ini.old

8.3, remember.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] first timer - editing plan9.ini
@ 2009-07-19 23:35       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-07-19 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Run 9fat: first, then run acme in the same window. Or, run acme, then
> do the command "Local 9fat:" inside the editor.

in rio, i prefer to plumb the string "Local 9fat:".  this
means that all new windows will inherit /n/9fat in their
namespaces.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] first timer - editing plan9.ini
@ 2009-07-20  0:08       ` Corey
From: Corey @ 2009-07-20  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sunday 19 July 2009 16:28:35 Federico G. Benavento wrote:
> cp plan9.ini plan9.ini.old
>
> acme didn't see /n/9fat/plan9.ini because the 9fat partition wasn't
> mounted in its namespace.

Thanks all, much obliged.

On Sunday 19 July 2009 16:25:18 John Floren wrote:
> You need to learn about namespaces. And the task you're setting out to
> perform is not a difficult one, especially considering that a terminal
> boots with Acme already showing the readme file--so READ ME.

Yep, I like to read readme's.  In fact I read that particular one several
times before querying 9fans.

> The "Local" trick may be the only part that's not obvious.

It was also a _key_ part.    (c8=

Anyhow, I'm back on track - thanks for the assist, guys.

Also - the following proved useful to me, once I found it:

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/michael/blog/0807/newbie-guide.pdf

Beers!

* Re: [9fans] first timer - editing plan9.ini
@ 2009-07-20  2:12   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2009-07-20  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The few minutes spent learning ed(1) will be well repaid. You'll be
> one of the smartest guys on your block.

i second that.  learning it has been one of the best investments of my
time since 1982.

* Re: [9fans] first timer - editing plan9.ini
@ 2009-07-20  2:29     ` Corey
From: Corey @ 2009-07-20  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sunday 19 July 2009 19:12:50 Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> > The few minutes spent learning ed(1) will be well repaid. You'll be
> > one of the smartest guys on your block.
>
> i second that.  learning it has been one of the best investments of my
> time since 1982.

<grin>

I would say the same thing about vi, which I practically live in, and feel
hamstrung without.

At anyrate, I do intend on sitting down and becoming at least comfortable
with sam's ed.

Though I'm guessing that I'll be installing Stefan's vim port asap - I'm
_extremely_ happy that this exists.

http://vmsplice.net/9vim.html

Cheers

* Re: [9fans] first timer - editing plan9.ini
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-07-20  2:50 ` Jason Catena
From: Jason Catena @ 2009-07-20  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The advantage of Acme is that there isn't much learning: all the commands
are obvious (eg Put writes back to disk), but you do have to learn the mouse
clicks to execute them.

I use sed's language constantly, and look forward to expanding my bag of
tricks with sam.  Stream editors are without-a-doubt the most useful tool I
have for editing files, because I can write scripts that edit them for me.

I found that sam had a limiting command-line interface, so I wrote a script
around it (ssam) that gives at a more sed-like stream-editing interface: -e
accepts a (series of) sam commands; -f accepts the name of a file with sam
commands; and you can pipe in the text you want to change, then use -e or -f
to supply the commands.  It puts all the text it changes on standard output.
 It's in code-review right now, so if you use it let me know (-G sends a
gripe with mail) if it doesn't work well for you.

http://codereview.appspot.com/95076/diff/1/2

Jason Catena

* Re: [9fans] first timer - editing plan9.ini
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-07-20  3:10 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2009-07-20  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> ... better yet: is there a simple/minimal editor that doesn't require
> learning a command language to begin using it first?

Nope. Learn ed(1). It's really very simple to use.

* Re: [9fans] first timer - editing plan9.ini
@ 2009-07-20 14:40     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2009-07-20 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:

> > The few minutes spent learning ed(1) will be well repaid. You'll be
> > one of the smartest guys on your block.
>
> i second that.  learning it has been one of the best investments of my
> time since 1982.
>

> ed is a life saver when other stuff just won't fit :-).
Also ed "scripts" can be quite handy to have around indeed.

* Re: [9fans] first timer - editing plan9.ini
@ 2009-07-22 18:09       ` J. R. Mauro
From: J. R. Mauro @ 2009-07-22 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: 9fans

On Jul 19, 2009, at 22:29, Corey <corey@bitworthy.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 19 July 2009 19:12:50 Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
>>> The few minutes spent learning ed(1) will be well repaid. You'll be
>>> one of the smartest guys on your block.
>>
>> i second that.  learning it has been one of the best investments of
>> my
>> time since 1982.
>>

> <grin>
>
> I would say the same thing about vi, which I practically live in,
> and feel
> hamstrung without.
>
> At anyrate, I do intend on sitting down and becoming at least
> comfortable
> with sam's ed.
>
> Though I'm guessing that I'll be installing Stefan's vim port asap -
> I'm
> _extremely_ happy that this exists.

It's sad to see people recommending acme instead of helping a bit with
Sam. You should try both, and use what fits you. I like Sam because it
is just an editor. Acme is more of a platform for making tools
interact, and to me ends up feeling like a swiss army chainsaw. I've
left vi behind because I learned Sam, and maybe you'll like it enough
to switch, too.

Until you get proficient in Sam, using the right-button menu will give
you the file-related commands you need, and / and s in the command
window will do until you learn the more powerful Sam commands and
idioms.

To get more proficient, I highly recommend Rob's paper 'A Tutorial For
The Sam Command Language' and the Sam reference card, which show you
the idioms for using Sam more effectively and give you a glimpse of
it's power. It helps if you read them more than once.

Good luck, I hope you find Sam or Acme to your liking :)

@ 2009-07-24 10:49       ` maht
       [not found]         ` <4B03FCAB-BFF1-483F-BCF8-369F0E6711C9@gmail.com>
From: maht @ 2009-07-24 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Though I'm guessing that I'll be installing Stefan's vim port asap - I'm
> _extremely_ happy that this exists.
>
> http://vmsplice.net/9vim.html

If you want Linux, you know where to find it

@ 2009-07-24 18:05           ` Rodolfo (kix)
From: Rodolfo (kix) @ 2009-07-24 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Some post are very constructive ...

vim is not Linux, sometimes I use it on Windows :-)

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Kix<rodolfogarciap@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some post are very constructive ...
>
> vim is not Linux, sometimes I use it on Windows :-)
>

> El 24/07/2009, a las 12:49, maht <mattmobile@proweb.co.uk> escribió:
>

>>> Though I'm guessing that I'll be installing Stefan's vim port asap - I'm
>>> _extremely_ happy that this exists.
>>>
>>> http://vmsplice.net/9vim.html
>>>
>> If you want Linux, you know where to find it

--
Rodolfo García "kix"
EA4ERH - IN80ER

* Re: [9fans] first timer - editing plan9.ini
@ 2009-07-24 19:18             ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2009-07-24 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

And rather than reply to them, they're best left unstirred... oops I broke
my own rule.

@ 2009-07-25  9:56         ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2009-07-25  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:49:26 +0100
maht <mattmobile@proweb.co.uk> wrote:

> > Though I'm guessing that I'll be installing Stefan's vim port asap - I'm
> > _extremely_ happy that this exists.
> >
> > http://vmsplice.net/9vim.html
> >
> If you want Linux, you know where to find it

I used 9vim for a little while. It helped a lot during that difficult phase of having to edit lots of files while still being unused to the system. I don't bother with it any more, it was just useful in ameliorating the precipitousness of the learning curve during the first few weeks.

--
Ethan Grammatikidis

Those who are slower at parsing information must
necessarily be faster at problem-solving.