* [9fans] a few more misc. questions if you don't mind
@ 2009-07-26  1:30 Corey
From: Corey @ 2009-07-26  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm still assembling a mental map of a typical Plan 9 environment, which I"m
primarily using various scattered papers, docs and tutorials from the web in
addition to the man pages and docs on the system as my resources.

I'm currently focusing on the most basic case of standalone terminal -
I'm sure that is a rare situation, but it's the most simple, with the least
number of moving parts and thus the easiest platform to begin my
initial understanding of the rest of the system from.

So, here are a few questions - they're probably naive and suffer from an
obvious lack of perspective - but I'm sure getting useful input from you
all will greatly clarify some current shady spots in my understanding of
things; and I appreciate your patience.

Is there any purpose in running auth/wrkey on a standalone terminal?

What are the use-cases, if any, for logging into a standalone terminal as
user 'none'?

How do you delete a filesystem user from a standalone terminal? i.e., how
would I properly remove glenda? (would hand-editing /adm/users be
sufficient?)

On a standalone terminal, is there any useful purpose in having a default user
with +adm and +sys groups, along with a "normal" user who only belongs to
+sys? In what circumstances, for what purposes, would you create users who
belong to either, both, or none of those two groups (sys and adm) - again,
assuming a standalone terminal?

Also, not so much from the perspective of a standalone terminal, just general
questions:

What's the inter-relationship/difference between the following two commands:
'auth/keyfs' and 'auth/wrkey'? I've read their respective man pages, but I'm
still a bit hazy on what exactly are the roles of those two commands (assuming
no arguments are supplied).

Why is sysname= not documented in plan9.ini(8)? Just an oversight?

There seems to be somewhat of an ambiguity regarding "workstation-class"
terminals, vs. the "dumb" terminals - it seems not totally unreasonable for
someone to have their "personal workstation" setup as a cpu/auth terminal.
e.g. I _think_, that if one were simply wanting to get a _single_ plan 9 box
running on a typical moderately powered pc, that one should just go for a cpu
kernel running auth, vs. a term kernel? -- of course this is assuming one has
no interest in setting up a "proper" plan 9 environment for whatever reasons.

Many thanks!