* [9fans] pc with floppy but without cd/dvd
@ 2009-07-26 11:28 fgergo
From: fgergo @ 2009-07-26 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Of course everybody is entitled to his opinion, though geoff wrote an
implicit question and if nobody answers, I suggest to kill this thread
and accept what geoff did. If you peek in the archives on unused
mechanisms, you can see that geoff's step makes the most sense in the
9fans context. Probably in any context.

About the rather vague comment on reliability: I don't think it is
relevant, since 99% of the actual plan9 "user base" is reading 9fans.

If somebody is not here, please speak up. (If you wish to reflect on
this comment, please don't do it.)

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 8:11 AM, Bela Valek<bvalek2@gmail.com> wrote:
> I suggest that you keep the floppy-install option. If Plan 9 is
> installed, its normally on a virtual machine, or on an older computer
> somewhere in the garage, often with floppy-drives only. But if its
> time consuming to support it...
>
> - Can you make it automatic? when you create the boot CD, generate the
> floppy image as a byproduct.
>
> - Can you provide a link to an older version of Plan 9 that still
> supports this option?
>
> Just dont make a feature disappear without trace, because the user
> base is assuming that its there, and you send them a bad message about
> the reliability of the product.

* Re: [9fans] pc with floppy but without cd/dvd
@ 2009-07-26 14:01 ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2009-07-26 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

FWIW, there is the solution to bootstrap the install with another mean
on a floppy.

For example, using GRUB with serial line to load a plan9 install kernel
(not tested).

Or to use etherboot (gPXE) on a floppy to load a PXE version.

Just to say that the remove of the floppy mean doesn't render plan9
uninstallable on a floppy only machine, but impose an external mean to
load/bootstrap.

--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde +AT+ polynum +dot+ com>
                 http://www.kergis.com/