* [9fans] 9atom.iso
@ 2009-09-29 18:21 erik quanstrom
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-09-29 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

there's a new one at ftp://ftp.quanstro.net/other/9atom.iso.gz
unfortunately it won't solve baux80's problem, i don't think.
i haven't gotten together a reasonable debugging version of
9load yet.  i'm still working on that.

the new iso mostly contains new device ids but it also has a a
few things like a workaround^w i mean support for ata puis.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] 9atom.iso
@ 2009-09-29 20:13 ` baux80
From: baux80 @ 2009-09-29 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 29 September 2009 at 14:21, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> there's a new one at ftp://ftp.quanstro.net/other/9atom.iso.gz
> unfortunately it won't solve baux80's problem, i don't think.

I'll give it a try and let you know :)

> i haven't gotten together a reasonable debugging version of
> 9load yet.  i'm still working on that.
>
> the new iso mostly contains new device ids but it also has a a
> few things like a workaround^w i mean support for ata puis.

So, I'll install plan9 via qemu and try to work around (if your new iso
dosn't boot) bootstrap.

thank you again :)

bye,

baux

* Re: [9fans] 9atom.iso
@ 2009-10-01  7:55 ` baux80
From: baux80 @ 2009-10-01  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 29 September 2009 at 14:21, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> there's a new one at ftp://ftp.quanstro.net/other/9atom.iso.gz
> unfortunately it won't solve baux80's problem, i don't think.

exact. Doesn't boot anymore.

but on qemu plan9 installs well :)

Now, I run it on my personal laptop. Should I install cpu server and auth or
use it as a simple terminal. What's the best practice for a personal machine ?

thanks

bye

* Re: [9fans] 9atom.iso
@ 2009-10-05 17:35 ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2009-10-05 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Boots fine from the CD and installs on a Shuttle X27. When booting
from the hard disk, I get a lot of

    ide: caught missed irq

and no working system. It hangs somewhere after

    version... time...

Thanks,
    Lucho

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 12:21 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> there's a new one at ftp://ftp.quanstro.net/other/9atom.iso.gz
> unfortunately it won't solve baux80's problem, i don't think.
> i haven't gotten together a reasonable debugging version of
> 9load yet.  i'm still working on that.
>
> the new iso mostly contains new device ids but it also has a a
> few things like a workaround^w i mean support for ata puis.
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] 9atom.iso
@ 2009-10-05 17:43   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-10-05 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Oct  5 13:38:51 EDT 2009, lucho@ionkov.net wrote:
> Boots fine from the CD and installs on a Shuttle X27. When booting
> from the hard disk, I get a lot of
>
>     ide: caught missed irq
>
> and no working system. It hangs somewhere after
>
>     version... time...
>
> Thanks,
>     Lucho

it's not hung, it's just really really sloooow.  caught missed
irq means that it's trying to forge ahead even though
the ide irq has been somehow misrouted.  my ide driver
tries to do its best in these cases, since this is a very common
problem.

 do you have a recognized southbridge?  there should
be a dev file /dev/mpirq (or nompirq if mp irqs are off)
that describes the mp table.  sometimes you'll see that there
are two mappings from bus irq to processor irq that are
the same except for the i/o apic output pin.  without the
routing tables, you don't know which one is correct.

it would be nice to be able to override irqs in plan9.ini.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] 9atom.iso
@ 2009-10-05 18:41     ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2009-10-05 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I don't see neither /dev/mpirq nor /dev/nompirq.

Thanks,
    Lucho

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 11:43 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> On Mon Oct  5 13:38:51 EDT 2009, lucho@ionkov.net wrote:
>> Boots fine from the CD and installs on a Shuttle X27. When booting
>> from the hard disk, I get a lot of
>>
>>     ide: caught missed irq
>>
>> and no working system. It hangs somewhere after
>>
>>     version... time...
>>
>> Thanks,
>>     Lucho
>
> it's not hung, it's just really really sloooow.  caught missed
> irq means that it's trying to forge ahead even though
> the ide irq has been somehow misrouted.  my ide driver
> tries to do its best in these cases, since this is a very common
> problem.
>
>  do you have a recognized southbridge?  there should
> be a dev file /dev/mpirq (or nompirq if mp irqs are off)
> that describes the mp table.  sometimes you'll see that there
> are two mappings from bus irq to processor irq that are
> the same except for the i/o apic output pin.  without the
> routing tables, you don't know which one is correct.
>
> it would be nice to be able to override irqs in plan9.ini.
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] 9atom.iso
@ 2009-10-05 19:32       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-10-05 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Oct  5 14:45:01 EDT 2009, lucho@ionkov.net wrote:
> I don't see neither /dev/mpirq nor /dev/nompirq.

you're correct.  the quickest fix would be to download
the atom sources and recompile with "nomp" in the link
section.  i will correct the cd.  sorry.

have you tried with "*nomp=1"?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] 9atom.iso
@ 2009-10-05 20:38         ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2009-10-05 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have a *nomp=1 in plan9.ini.

    Lucho

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 1:32 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> On Mon Oct  5 14:45:01 EDT 2009, lucho@ionkov.net wrote:
>> I don't see neither /dev/mpirq nor /dev/nompirq.
>>

> you're correct.  the quickest fix would be to download
> the atom sources and recompile with "nomp" in the link
> section.  i will correct the cd.  sorry.
>
> have you tried with "*nomp=1"?
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] 9atom.iso
@ 2009-10-06  0:52           ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2009-10-06  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Latchesar Ionkov <lucho@ionkov.net> wrote:
> I have a *nomp=1 in plan9.ini.
>
>    Lucho
>
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 1:32 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
>> On Mon Oct  5 14:45:01 EDT 2009, lucho@ionkov.net wrote:
>>> I don't see neither /dev/mpirq nor /dev/nompirq.
>>>

>> you're correct.  the quickest fix would be to download
>> the atom sources and recompile with "nomp" in the link
>> section.  i will correct the cd.  sorry.
>>
>> have you tried with "*nomp=1"?
>>
>> - erik

have your tried dma on?

my installation has the same problem, but once it starts dma on
everything works fine.
It is annoying if you only enable dma through cpurc or termrc because
untill it runs them everything is slow. good erik's sd stuff allows
you to run dma right at the begining.

--
http://www.fernski.com

* Re: [9fans] 9atom.iso
       [not found] <<f158dc670910060817y68fbb39asa5060cfc7901e2f7@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-10-06 15:47 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-10-06 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Oct  6 11:19:07 EDT 2009, lucho@ionkov.net wrote:
> Adding *sdE0dma=on fixed the problem.
>
> Thanks,
>     Lucho

i'm glad that's unsightly hack is working for you.
clearly we're doing some pio naughty.  this should
get fixed.

if anyone with this problem can bring the offending
equipment in, i'll try to take a quick look or, if
you're willing, we can try remote debugging.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] 9atom.iso
@ 2009-10-06 15:17   ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2009-10-06 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 8:02 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> have your tried dma on?
>>
>> my installation has the same problem, but once it starts dma on
>> everything works fine.
>> It is annoying if you only enable dma through cpurc or termrc because
>> untill it runs them everything is slow. good erik's sd stuff allows
>> you to run dma right at the begining.
>
> just to be clear, the plan9.ini syntax is
> *sdC0dma=on
> replace C0 with the drive id in question.
>
> crude but sometimes effiective.
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] 9atom.iso
       [not found] <<1d5d51400910051752y49ab1da6qfcdaa8b338c194fe@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-10-06  2:02 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-10-06  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, 9fans

       [not found] <<f158dc670910051035h56675cc7k920f43cc41287d62@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-10-05 17:45 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-10-05 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Oct  5 13:37:36 EDT 2009, lucho@ionkov.net wrote:
> Boots fine from the CD and installs on a Shuttle X27. When booting
> from the hard disk, I get a lot of

i missed this in my original reply.  i would guess that
turning off mp interrupts will do the trick for you.
the mp table must be confusing things.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] 9atom.iso
@ 2009-10-05 16:14   ` baux80
From: baux80 @ 2009-10-05 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 1 October 2009 at 9:37, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> On Thu Oct  1 03:58:36 EDT 2009, baux80@gmail.com wrote:
> > On 29 September 2009 at 14:21, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote
:
> > > there's a new one at ftp://ftp.quanstro.net/other/9atom.iso.gz
> > > unfortunately it won't solve baux80's problem, i don't think.
> >
> > exact. Doesn't boot anymore.
>
> could you give some more information?

PBS1...
ELCR: 0C20
pcrouting: 1524/1412 at pin 1 irq 11
pcrouting: 1524/0551 at pin 2 irq 5
pcrouting: 8086/2652 at pin 2 irq 11
dev A0 port 170 config 045A capabilities 2B00 mwdma 0007 udm6 203F
eoepnp(<nil>)
found 6 e820 entries
bood devices: fw0
boot from: