* [9fans] Got a phd? getting a phd?
@ 2009-12-17 20:49 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-12-17 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sandia has a new deal for "new phds". This seems to mean
- just got it
- just hired on and you have it

You can come in and propose something research-y, and you'll get 66%
support for two years for whatever. It's a pretty good deal.

It's harder if you're not US citizen but ... we got lots of people
from all over, so it's not impossible.

Anyway, I hope nobody minds this note but I know jobs are tough to get
right now. This job, coming with 2 years of 2/3 "your own research"
time, is pretty sweet.

In my area, we could use Plan 9 people, or people who want to work on
the "10 million VMs" project, or people who want to build safer
systems based on open source from the BIOS up, or people who think
Plan 9 can answer security issues and want to add VM support to it, or
who want to work with manycores, or ...

ron

* Re: [9fans] Got a phd? getting a phd?
@ 2009-12-18  6:52 ` SHRIZZA
From: SHRIZZA @ 2009-12-18  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Though I'm no candidate for this, it's always good to hear about good
potential avenues for funded research.

As someone who is in the field, do you have any pointers or common
gotchas for those who would like to put a foot in the door?

* Re: [9fans] Got a phd? getting a phd?
@ 2009-12-18  7:06   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-12-18  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:52 PM, SHRIZZA <shrizza@gmail.com> wrote:

> As someone who is in the field, do you have any pointers or common
> gotchas for those who would like to put a foot in the door?

I'm afraid I have little I can think of to say.

Thanks

@ 2010-01-05 14:50 ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2010-01-05 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sandia has a new deal for "new phds". This seems to mean
> - just got it
> - just hired on and you have it
>
> You can come in and propose something research-y, and you'll get 66%
> support for two years for whatever. It's a pretty good deal.
>
> It's harder if you're not US citizen but ... we got lots of people
> from all over, so it's not impossible.

What are the exact prerequisites ?
Especially for, lets say, Germany ?

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt@metux.de
 mobile: +49 174 7066481   icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666

* Re: [9fans] Got a phd? getting a phd?
@ 2010-01-05 21:38   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-01-05 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:50 AM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:

> What are the exact prerequisites ?
> Especially for, lets say, Germany ?

recent phd.

That's the starting point. It's best if you are us citizen but
definitely not mandatory!

@ 2010-01-13 16:25     ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2010-01-13 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:50 AM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:
>
> > What are the exact prerequisites ?
> > Especially for, lets say, Germany ?
>
> recent phd.

ah, phd has to be already present (i though it's about
aquireing one ;-o).