* [9fans] ntp
@ 2010-05-13 21:09 frank
From: frank @ 2010-05-13 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I want to let a freshly installed Plan 9 box use NTP but can't get it
to work.

I used the explanation under "SETTING UP CORRECT TIMEZONE" from
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/installation_instructions/ but
noticed some things:

- User adm cannot edit /rc/bin/termrc because it is owned by user sys
  and group sys and user adm isn't a member of the sys group. I could
  make user adm a member of the sys group but this is probably not the
  way to go.

- User glenda is a member of the sys group and can edit
  /rc/bin/termrc, so I changed the TIMESYNCARGS variable, saved, quit
  sam and checked with p /rc/bin/termrc. However, after rebooting, the
  change is lost (in outer space?). I also noticed that the copy of
  the termrc file I made before making the change, was gone.

I checked the manpages for boot, booting, root, namespace... but
didn't really find the exact reason. I think it has to do with the
fact that the directory I see as user glenda, is a union directory
which only allows me to change the file in the current namespace. If
that's the case, it's probably not the intention that I change it as
user glenda either.

What am I missing here?

Kind regards,

--
Frank Lenaerts ---------------------------------------- frank@inua.be

* Re: [9fans] ntp
@ 2010-05-13 22:50 ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2010-05-13 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:09:36PM +0200, frank@inua.be wrote:
	cp termrc termrc.local

Then make changes to it.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 205 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] ntp
@ 2010-05-14  2:58 ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2010-05-14  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 6:09 PM,  <frank@inua.be> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to let a freshly installed Plan 9 box use NTP but can't get it
> to work.
>
> I used the explanation under "SETTING UP CORRECT TIMEZONE" from
> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/installation_instructions/ but
> noticed some things:
>
> - User adm cannot edit /rc/bin/termrc because it is owned by user sys
>  and group sys and user adm isn't a member of the sys group. I could
>  make user adm a member of the sys group but this is probably not the
>  way to go.
>
> - User glenda is a member of the sys group and can edit
>  /rc/bin/termrc, so I changed the TIMESYNCARGS variable, saved, quit
>  sam and checked with p /rc/bin/termrc. However, after rebooting, the
>  change is lost (in outer space?). I also noticed that the copy of
>  the termrc file I made before making the change, was gone.
>
> I checked the manpages for boot, booting, root, namespace... but
> didn't really find the exact reason. I think it has to do with the
> fact that the directory I see as user glenda, is a union directory
> which only allows me to change the file in the current namespace. If
> that's the case, it's probably not the intention that I change it as
> user glenda either.
>
> What am I missing here?

assuming you are running the file server on this very machine, did you
run fshalt before rebooting?

* Re: [9fans] ntp
@ 2010-05-14  8:52   ` frank
From: frank @ 2010-05-14  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:58:18PM -0300, Iruata Souza wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 6:09 PM,  <frank@inua.be> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to let a freshly installed Plan 9 box use NTP but can't get it
> > to work.
> >
> > I used the explanation under "SETTING UP CORRECT TIMEZONE" from
> > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/installation_instructions/ but
> > noticed some things:
> >
> > - User adm cannot edit /rc/bin/termrc because it is owned by user sys
> >  and group sys and user adm isn't a member of the sys group. I could
> >  make user adm a member of the sys group but this is probably not the
> >  way to go.
> >
> > - User glenda is a member of the sys group and can edit
> >  /rc/bin/termrc, so I changed the TIMESYNCARGS variable, saved, quit
> >  sam and checked with p /rc/bin/termrc. However, after rebooting, the
> >  change is lost (in outer space?). I also noticed that the copy of
> >  the termrc file I made before making the change, was gone.
> >
> > I checked the manpages for boot, booting, root, namespace... but
> > didn't really find the exact reason. I think it has to do with the
> > fact that the directory I see as user glenda, is a union directory
> > which only allows me to change the file in the current namespace. If
> > that's the case, it's probably not the intention that I change it as
> > user glenda either.
> >
> > What am I missing here?
> >

> assuming you are running the file server on this very machine, did you
> run fshalt before rebooting?

No I hadn't... I thought that fshalt was only necessary when you want
to turn off the box and that a reboot would first sync the filesystem.

I just read the "SHUT DOWN" section from the installation instructions
again. The sentence "Then turn off the computer or type Ctl-Alt-Del or
"^t ^t r" to reboot" indeed implies that you have to run fshalt before
rebooting (in case the system runs a fileserver).

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

--
Frank Lenaerts ---------------------------------------- frank@inua.be