* [9fans] fscons users -r/-w <file> vs. editing /adm/users manually
@ 2010-05-15 23:56 Corey
From: Corey @ 2010-05-15 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If one wants to remove an existing user from the fossil file server,
is it perfectly ok to simply edit /adm/users, as the hostowner user,
directly?  Or is it considered better practice to issue users -r/-w via
fossilcons? Or is there effectively no real difference?

* Re: [9fans] fscons users -r/-w <file> vs. editing /adm/users manually
@ 2010-05-16  8:55   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2010-05-16  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey, 9fans

re: when users leave

I think the labs policy was to change the name of the user from
	frank:frank
	was-frank:frank

the first name is what is used by auth and is reported by dirstat()
the seccond name is what is held on the disk (ken fs uses integers here).

Beware: this is from memory, I have not tested this.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] fscons users -r/-w <file> vs. editing /adm/users manually
@ 2010-05-16  2:34     ` Corey
From: Corey @ 2010-05-16  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Saturday 15 May 2010 6:28:00 erik quanstrom wrote:
> > So, assuming a non-venti server: when removing users from the fossil
> > filesystem, there's no effective difference whether I do so by manually
> > editing /adm/users versus fscons: users -r/-w [file] ?
> >
> > I'm just slowly trying to accumulate "best practices" for my
> > documentation efforts.
>
> personally, i'd shy away from recommendiations on removing
> users, since it might not be appropriate for all system setups.

Certainly - fair and proper warning and details will be provided, however
I'm taking a "full disclosure" approach to my notes/documentation,and
am attempting to cover the sort of questions/scenarios that new users
such as myself might be confronted with.

( I'm trying to write the kind of docs that I myself would have liked
to have had available during my own initial forays into Plan 9 setup
and administration ) [I mean no sleight against the current wiki]

> anyway, if you edit /adm/users, you may have to tell the fs about
> what you've done.

Perfect, thanks:

In the event that a hostowner intentionally wants to remove a user from
the users table, I'll recommend that 'users -r/-w [file]' be  used rather than
merely editing /adm/users directly.

cheers

* Re: [9fans] fscons users -r/-w <file> vs. editing /adm/users manually
@ 2010-05-16  1:28   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-05-16  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey, 9fans

> So, assuming a non-venti server: when removing users from the fossil
> filesystem, there's no effective difference whether I do so by manually
> editing /adm/users versus fscons: users -r/-w [file] ?
>
> I'm just slowly trying to accumulate "best practices" for my documentation
> efforts.

personally, i'd shy away from recommendiations on removing
users, since it might not be appropriate for all system setups.

anyway, if you edit /adm/users, you may have to tell the fs about
what you've done.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] fscons users -r/-w <file> vs. editing /adm/users manually
@ 2010-05-16  1:16 ` Corey
From: Corey @ 2010-05-16  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Saturday 15 May 2010 5:55:33 erik quanstrom wrote:
> On Sat May 15 19:56:50 EDT 2010, corey@bitworthy.net wrote:
> > If one wants to remove an existing user from the fossil file server,
> > is it perfectly ok to simply edit /adm/users, as the hostowner user,
> > directly?  Or is it considered better practice to issue users -r/-w via
> > fossilcons? Or is there effectively no real difference?
>
> if you are using venti and thus have a dump (snapshots), i would
> recommend against removing users since removing users can make
> the dump unintelligible.  at coraid, we just disable auth.

Ack - I should have mentioned:  fossil only, no venti - no snapshots.

@ 2010-05-16  0:55 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-05-16  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey, 9fans