* [9fans] "laggy" drawterm on local network?
@ 2010-05-15 21:31 Corey
From: Corey @ 2010-05-15 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm on a 802.11g here on my lan in my house, where my cpu/auth server
sits - and drawterm is noticeably  slow/laggy.  For instance, mousing up/down
the rio menus, and drawing/moving new rio windows, scrolling through large
amounts of text... all produce regular finegrained intermittent delays before
"catching up"... it's just past the threshold of annoying/frustrating -
especially as I was expecting smother operation here on my lan over
relatively decent bandwidth.

Before possibly spinning my wheels attempting to fix/diagonse potential
issues on my home network/routing - I'd like to ask: is this actually normal,
or is it likely something's up w/ my network to cause such noticeable lag on
drawterm?  (I've at least done the obvious to ensure no other network traffic
is saturating my lan's pipe)

Thanks!

* Re: [9fans] "laggy" drawterm on local network?
@ 2010-05-15 21:33 ` Corey
From: Corey @ 2010-05-15 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Saturday 15 May 2010 2:31:57 Corey wrote:
> I'm on a 802.11g here on my lan in my house, where my cpu/auth server
> sits - and drawterm is noticeably  slow/laggy.
<snip>

Oh yeah - I'm using tcp and not il.

* Re: [9fans] "laggy" drawterm on local network?
@ 2010-05-15 23:49   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-05-15 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey, 9fans

On Sat May 15 17:33:49 EDT 2010, corey@bitworthy.net wrote:
> On Saturday 15 May 2010 2:31:57 Corey wrote:
> > I'm on a 802.11g here on my lan in my house, where my cpu/auth server
> > sits - and drawterm is noticeably  slow/laggy.
> <snip>
>
> Oh yeah - I'm using tcp and not il.

clearly!  /dev/draw is very efficient, but graphics are being
pushed over the wire.  and since tcp is not record preserving,
a local wireless network is just the sort of thing where the
delayed ack might hurt.

i use wireless (borrowed laptop) about once a month and
don't see any issues.  perhaps you're on a busy or contended
channel?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] "laggy" drawterm on local network?
@ 2010-05-16  1:10     ` Corey
From: Corey @ 2010-05-16  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Saturday 15 May 2010 4:49:32 erik quanstrom wrote:
> On Sat May 15 17:33:49 EDT 2010, corey@bitworthy.net wrote:
> > On Saturday 15 May 2010 2:31:57 Corey wrote:
> > > I'm on a 802.11g here on my lan in my house, where my cpu/auth server
> > > sits - and drawterm is noticeably  slow/laggy.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > Oh yeah - I'm using tcp and not il.
>
> clearly!

Ah... heheh - cleary: because I'm using drawterm and drawterm
doesn't do IL? (sorry if that's a lame question)

> /dev/draw is very efficient, but graphics are being
> pushed over the wire.  and since tcp is not record preserving,
> a local wireless network is just the sort of thing where the
> delayed ack might hurt.

I'd like to try IL next, just so I have some direct personal experience
with it vs. TCP.

> i use wireless (borrowed laptop) about once a month and
> don't see any issues.  perhaps you're on a busy or contended
> channel?

Wow - o.k., I just went and switched my laptop off the wireless,
and connected via ethernet... and damn - huge difference: drawterm
operations are now silky smooth.

I'll now try different channels on my wifi router, see if that makes a
difference with my drawterm's performance over wireless.

@ 2010-05-16  1:26       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-05-16  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey, 9fans

> Ah... heheh - cleary: because I'm using drawterm and drawterm
> doesn't do IL? (sorry if that's a lame question)

currently, that's up to the host os.  and none of the host
oses do.  in theory one could send raw packets from dt
directly.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] "laggy" drawterm on local network?
@ 2010-05-16  1:35         ` Corey
From: Corey @ 2010-05-16  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Saturday 15 May 2010 6:26:05 erik quanstrom wrote:
> > Ah... heheh - cleary: because I'm using drawterm and drawterm
> > doesn't do IL? (sorry if that's a lame question)
>
> currently, that's up to the host os.  and none of the host
> oses do.

Of course, that makes sense - thanks!